Swing Rebuilding - videos and background

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bit of a longish post.... ;)

Having played 20-odd years with my own unique loopy swing (you can see some aspects of it in the 6i vid), I decided in May 2011 to take the plunge and address my swing faults properly. Two reasons for this:

1. I want to score consistently low and get below 6 h/c.
2. I'm not getting younger, so this is my last real chance to do it.

This is a big, big, job to do, to unlearn what has been natural for 20+ years. Thus I need to be fully committed, learn properly and have a decent pro on board. So, I booked a 9h assessment and a course of six 1hr lessons (initially), which includes vid assessments and drills to do. The pro I'm using is Ben Clayton at Hindhead.

After the 9h assessment, Ben and I agreed a plan of action. Around 3 lessons to work on the swing rebuild, 2 for short game & chipping and one for wedge distance control. Further lessons can (and will) be booked on the need to do basis to address other swing items.

As I write, I have had two lessons. These covered my woeful takeaway and equally poor backswing plane. :eek: The two together just won't lead to a consistent swing!! These are issues I've known for a looonnnngggg time, but just haven't seriously addressed them.

Ben gave me drills to fix my plane and takeaway. For the takeaway, I've been asked to turn the shoulder & arms in one, to a swing point where the left arm and club shaft are parallel to target line, at thigh level and the hands on the same parallel track they were at address. My previous takeaway is disconnected, outside the line, etc, etc (and still is sometimes!!). The swing plane drill continues from the takeaway drill by hinging the wrists and rotating the shoulders to the top. I am doing this three-piece drill in some of the 6i swings - you'll see three distinct movements.

Through vid analysis I can continue good practice to implement the drills correctly, but at the moment it is hard to lose the old swing habits when doing a complete swing; I can do a good new swing when I'm doing the three piece drill.

Even though its been two months of a long road, I feel that I am making progress. The trick is to continue with good practice, vid analysis and a massive dollop of patience!!! :)

Here are the swings I've recorded:

1. New swing build with a 9i iron in the backgarden
2. 6i swing drills-some old swing and some new!

My 6i swing vid shows some swings with my old style takeaway/plane (although not as bad as it was) and some new style takeaway/plane (the 9i vid shows better takeaway and swing plane). :cool:

Hope that was of interest! I hope to update on progress in a few weeks. Any comments very welcome.

Cheers :cool:

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi good on you for sorting things. It damm hard work to change the habits of a lifetime. I can see a slight thing in the second part of your new back swing. But as your working with a pro and I am no expert its not for me to say. Incase what I say is wrong. Its hard enough without everyone filling your head with ideas. Goodluck with the changes, keep us all informed, will be following with interest.

scozzie

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hey Piece,
a long post yes but im off work today so no probs! Just to say hang in there and keep going,had a lesson myself not long ago with some of same things to work on (wrist hinge in particular) and it takes a while as you know! If anything Id say to slow down a bit,you must be knackered after hitting 50 balls in 8 minutes!! Step back,take a breath,practice swing(the new one!) & step up & nail it..then step away,even for 5 seconds to gather your thoughts,good luck.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Have you joined Hindhead ? It is just up the road from me, and a lovely course, especially the front nine. Peter Allis is a member.

I have heard good things about your Pro, so you should be in safe hands.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
DaveM/Scozzie - thanks for reading and looking. I'm a swing techo nerd and have spent years looking at swings...except my own! Now I've truly seen it (in May), the embarrassment prompted me to get serious! There's a few (!) things such as lag, temp, posture through ball, slidy hips, weight placement, but they can wait until the main stuff is looking good. I think it will take about a year to groove and another year to get where I want to be.

Richart - not a member yet (maybe in a few years time), but do play there a bit as I know members and of course Ben. So far, he's a good teacher and a very respected short game coach (won the Srixon/Cleveland short game ambassador award in 2010/11).

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm a swing techo nerd and have spent years looking at swings.

Use to be myself totally ruined my swing (the Leadbetter books and vids really messed me up). Had to take a year out due to neck and back disc problems. In a way the best thing that happened to me. Have spent the last 3 months groving a correct swing with the help of a pro. The muscule memory is pretty much there now. The lay off got rid off the old memories so I could start from the start so as to speak. Good out off bad really. Dont forget keep the updates coming.