Swing Critique?

Rystar00

Visit site
Evening gents,

Im a long time lurker and hopefully going to be an active new member.

If any of you are bored I would be very grateful if you could point out any obvious flaws in my swing. I've been playing for around 8 months and am very inconsistent. Can shoot mid 90s on a good day but tend to be around the 100 mark.

thanks!

http://youtu.be/a2kfL9TbFKc

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
That's a pretty good set up and an excellent swing plane.

It grabs me that you don't know where you're supposed to get the club to at impact as you stand up thru the shot (it's called early extension)

At impact the clubshaft should be leaning more forwards, and in doing so your right shoulder needs to turn more down towards the ball (so you can still reach the grip of the club). Your hands will be well past your nose BEFORE they hit the ball.

something like this....

impact3.jpg

If this sounds complicated just go and have a word with your local pro and ask him to show you/explain the impact position....that way you'll KNOW where you're supposed to be swinging the club to :thup:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What JO said and you are not rotating enough, both feet are flat through impact and your finish position has hardly turned past impact, your belt buckle should be facing forward with your right foot right up on the toe.

Rystar00

Visit site
Thanks guys, really appreciate your feedback.

Would a lack of rotation/early extension cause some hooks and push shots? I'm really struggling with these at the moment!

From looking at my swing I don't think there is a million things wrong with it but I will work on my rotation and do some early extension drills at the range.

Many thanks again

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Rystar, you have a couple of things going on there in your swing... firstly you need to understand what impact is and secondly you need to work on your swing plane and your hip movement. here's a drill I just devised for you...

Lay a club on the floor in this configuration, about 4 inches from your toes.... then in your downswing feel that you are trying to 'cover up' the club on the floor with the club in your hands (as if you're laying your club on top of it so you can no longer see it), this will help with your downswing plane and teach you to keep your hips back out of the way so you can do it!!! MAKE SLOW SWINGS to start. Our swing thru impact feels a little like it takes place UNDER us... we are bent over and our hands swing into the space that is BELOW our neck/chest :thup:

drill.gif

But you do need to learn that impact position first.... :thup:

Hope that helps.

EDIT: I can't find a great picture right now but it (you) should look a little like this..... with your hands about to pass by your nose and into impact

11591.jpg

Last edited: