Swapping shafts in Hybrids

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Anyone had any success with swapping the shaft in their hybrid, to gain a more repeatable shot shape ? I have always found hybrids to be a little bit hit or miss when it comes to shaping shots. I can shape my irons but never feel that I can do the same with a hybrid. I would quite like to keep my 15 degree hybrid in my bag, but find the shot shape very random, I can hit a cuts from gentle to wild and dead straight, a draw seems to be off the menu, unless I really de-loft it and try and wrap the club round the ball. Anyone had success getting their hybrid to be a bit more workable with a shaft change ? (Current shaft is a Stiff Pro Launch Red, which personally I think is too stiff).

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Yes but not for shot shape (basically so I could just hit them better) I'd bought a pair of hybrids with R steel shafts and found I lost so much distance to previous hybrids. Eventually I took them to get replaced with R graphite ones (about 40% lighter) and transformed the clubs
The steel needed a much faster swing than I possessed

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am super impressed that with that head, de-lofted and with that shaft you can get the ball into the air at all, let alone with a draw!

I don't have any issues working my more normally lofted hybrids with light or heavy, firm or regular flex shafts. The 85g and stiff with one of my 22° heads is, along with my 6 iron, the most workable club(s) in the bag and represent the choice when trick shots are required as well as simply wishing to shape a more normal shot.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Off a really good lie, or low tee I can get a little draw, but as I say, you really have to work it, so not what I really want. Good to know that what I am looking for is achievable :) Thanks.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Easy switch if you play hybrids which can be adjusted .

I play an Aldila shaft in my Titleist HY18.

Just buy the shaft you want and an adaptor on ebay.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Unless you have a really high swing speed, 15 degrees really is low for a hybrid, especially if you are then delofting it. If it was me think Id be looking to add a bit more loft then finding the right shaft from there.

Even with decent speed Ive found anything below 17 degrees a battle. Id be looking between 17-19 degrees then finding the shaft that gives you the ball flight you want

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
I hadn't considered the loft being an issue, but that's a very good point. Probably really need to go an have a little dabble at the fitters with a variety of options. Ta v much.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My hybrid is a difficult beast to control and I can't shape it to order. At my level something resembling straight or the usual left to right I'd take but every now and then it'll catch me unaware and chuck a big right to left at me to get me questioning everything

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
Agree with the loft comments. I've ditched my 19 degree hybrid for an 18 degree 5 wood, which I find much easier to hit, and can shape shots better with too.