Superstitions

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Guys

What, if any, superstitions do you have before playing a round of golf?

I always use the same ball marker, one from my hometown club, but when playing a course for the first time i always buy a marker and use it there for the first round but if i play there again i use my hometown one again. Dont know where it came from but wont even consider changing it.

Am i mad, or do many of you out there have unexplainable routines or dress code that you wont set foot on a course with out.

Lloydy84

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What would yo do if you should lose that ball marker?

i don't have any superstitions, however i do have some unhealthy obsessions, hit a bad shot, i won't be satisfied until i have hit at least one shot of the same type perfectly.

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yes, Smange. You are completely mad. Or bonkers, if you prefer. Do these superstitions help your game in any way? I doubt it. It's almost like the greatest player in history thinking that wearing a certain colour of jumper on the final day of a major championship helped him to win.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lloydy84, i have never even considered losing that ball marker, God only knows what i will do if that ever happens but i dont ever see me leaving the first tee without that marker in my pocket. I value its magical powers too much to lose it.

Bossman96

Club Champion
Visit site
No superstitions but on the subject of ball markers....
Got one brought back from Wentworth by a work colleague and occasional golf partner. He died not long after and is sadly missed. Needless to say the marker will never be used for fear of losing it.

R.I.P. Kenny.

Lloydy84

Assistant Pro
Visit site
lol smange, that's exactly why i, and probably most of us on here don't have a big superstition, because if you lose your 'lucky ' charm, you may have a mental breakdown on the 1st tee!

Lloydy84

Assistant Pro
Visit site
note: wasn't aware of the previous post before posting my last comment, otherwise i wouldn't have been so cheerful, R.I.P

Bossman96

Club Champion
Visit site
note: wasn't aware of the previous post before posting my last comment, otherwise i wouldn't have been so cheerful, R.I.P

Don't worry mate, Ken would want us to be cheerful. He could talk golf till the cows come home.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry to hear that Bossman96, RIP Kenny.

Lloydy84, I wont have the mental breakdown on the first tee, long before that in fact, i put it in my pocket before even leaving the house.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Not so much superstition as routine.
I seem to always:
Take the clubs from the boot along with trolley. Fix bag to trolley. Put on golf shoes. Close car boot and lock up.
I then grab a couple of tees and put them in my pocket then choose a ball and do likewise.
Place keys in golf ball pocket of my bag. Put on my glove then away we go to the 1st tee.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I go through the same pre match ritual. Practice ground, putting green, visit to gents and onto first tee. Then its tees and ball markers (no specific colours or lucky ones although I do have a US 25 cent coin I have had for ages - not sure where it came from that I tend to include for no other reason than I find it easier to get out of my pocket than plastic ones) into the left pocket and ball (marked with three red dots) and glove in the other.

Meet my partners, shake hands, tee it up and smash it into the thick stuff again - DOH!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I use to suffer very badly with what I though was IBS (turned out I was drinking too much and it was the start on my pancreas going into serious meltdown). As a result I felt the need so to speak even on solo rounds. Now it has become a bit of a ritual (bit like checking you have done your flies up before leaving the house).

Fortunately (I think) my near death pancreatic episode 18 months ago and the resulting inability to ever drink again has rendered the action more of a safety valve now.

Thank you GM forum members for letting me share my toiletary movements (I'm sure you will find them all a source of great comfort and a benefit to your game)