Stolen phone tracked and reclaimed

Tab373

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Today was very interesting. I was in town with the wife and kids when the wife could not find her phone. She remembered having it in a changing room approx 40 mins ago so went back to check but no sign and shop assistant hasn't had anything handed in. Wife started to panic as lots of kids photos and vids on it. We were going to report to police but went to the O2 shop 1st .they tracked her phone on the move approx 2 miles away so someone had found it and thought they would keep it.Wife and I jump in the car and followed the phone signal via my phone but it started to move further away. It stopped but started off again approx 2 miles away from our location i rushed to the spot and drove into a posh cul de sac most houses having big iron gates. The house that it took us to was the only house with the gates open and a small Citroen car was on the drive. Knocked on the door but no answer so I put my hand on the bonnet and it was red hot so new it had to be the house. Went around the back and stood there was a approx 19 year old female carer nursing a elderly women's leg. When challenged about the phone she said oh yes I found it and was going to hand it in to Police later. I asked her why not hand into the shop but she could not answer that. She had the phone approx 2 hours and never answered any calls I made to it.we have reported it to her employers and the police as if she is stealing phones what else could she be taking from her elderly client. Highly recommend the find my phone app

Tab373

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
What if it had been a 20 stone biker instead of a wee nurse?

No worries I'm a 17 and half stone doorman. Plus the phone was taken from a ladies changing room. Would of been shocked if a 20 stone biker in a dress opens the door. If it got out of hand would of called police

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
find my iphone is awesome! weirdly, my mate uses it to see where his mrs is! thats a bit odd if you ask me...

rich1981

Club Champion
Visit site
I read a similar story about a boy doing this in London, unfortunately that story resulted in him being stabbed and killed by the person who had stolen the phone. Glad you got your wife's phone back but it isn't always the safest thing to do.

Tab373

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I read a similar story about a boy doing this in London, unfortunately that story resulted in him being stabbed and killed by the person who had stolen the phone. Glad you got your wife's phone back but it isn't always the safest thing to do.

If I had waited for the Police to start looking for it I'm sure we would never see it again the risk was worth taking IMO

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Today was very interesting. I was in town with the wife and kids when the wife could not find her phone. She remembered having it in a changing room approx 40 mins ago so went back to check but no sign and shop assistant hasn't had anything handed in. Wife started to panic as lots of kids photos and vids on it. We were going to report to police but went to the O2 shop 1st .they tracked her phone on the move approx 2 miles away so someone had found it and thought they would keep it.Wife and I jump in the car and followed the phone signal via my phone but it started to move further away. It stopped but started off again approx 2 miles away from our location i rushed to the spot and drove into a posh cul de sac most houses having big iron gates. The house that it took us to was the only house with the gates open and a small Citroen car was on the drive. Knocked on the door but no answer so I put my hand on the bonnet and it was red hot so new it had to be the house. Went around the back and stood there was a approx 19 year old female carer nursing a elderly women's leg. When challenged about the phone she said oh yes I found it and was going to hand it in to Police later. I asked her why not hand into the shop but she could not answer that. She had the phone approx 2 hours and never answered any calls I made to it.we have reported it to her employers and the police as if she is stealing phones what else could she be taking from her elderly client. Highly recommend the find my phone app

good story, well done, what is this app you speak of? can it track anyones phone or just your own phone? wonder how it works

Tab373

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
good story, well done, what is this app you speak of? can it track anyones phone or just your own phone? wonder how it works

The app is called find my iphone works on my iPhone 5 but don't know what other phones it could work on.as long as the app is on a iPhone or iPad you can track it via phone iPad or laptop. I'm sure other phone have got a similar app as it works on the phones GPS

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The app is called find my iphone works on my iPhone 5 but don't know what other phones it could work on.as long as the app is on a iPhone or iPad you can track it via phone iPad or laptop. I'm sure other phone have got a similar app as it works on the phones GPS

ahh ok, so the 'other' phone must have GPS on it and must have the app on it as well?

to track the other phone then does the app have to be constantly running in the background? battery life?

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I had waited for the Police to start looking for it I'm sure we would never see it again the risk was worth taking IMO

Glad you got the phone back mate, I have used that app loads of times to help find stolen phones and also to help find missing people. It is a very good app and also very accurate.

Vice

Head Pro
Visit site
it's built into the OS

http://www.apple.com/uk/icloud/features/find-my-iphone.html

As long as the phone is connected to the network its traceable.

Will only affect battery life as much as it does have any location services enabled.

Also what is quite disturbing, if you enable location services on your camera, all photo's are tagged with GPS coordinates as well.
good for some bad for others.

ahh ok, so the 'other' phone must have GPS on it and must have the app on it as well?

to track the other phone then does the app have to be constantly running in the background? battery life?

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use Avast antivirus and it has protection on it. I can send a text to my phone and with avast it can lock the phone or set off a siren. Handy if the phone is lost in the house sometimes :D.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a thing on my Imac than can my find my Iphone if i lose it ,a bit stalker is a times ,HID better not find out about it or the signal will see i mostly at Scotscraig GC or the local pub

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Last week my neighbour who is a policeman calls me at home asking if I could go outside and check the driveway/road to see if his Iphone as there. He left the house without it and was checking its whereabouts online, GPS signal suggested that he might have driven off leaving the phone on the car which may have fallen to the ground. False alarm as I checked the road and no sign of it.

I had spare keys to his place so I offered to go inside, found his phone just inside the front door he was relieved to say the least.

On Sunday I turned up at our golf course for the Sunday Medal at 7.30am. A guy came into the clubhouse having already been on the course. Managed to do 4 holes but discovered that he lost his Iphone on the course so returned to the pro shop to report it. Despite putting word out and checking with all of the groups that followed him nobody saw the phone (or rather decided to hand it in).

What he would have paid to have that app loaded on his phone. Poor chap.

In this day and age it shouldn't be beyond the carriers such as Vodafone, O2 etc to be able to remotely push an app like that to the phone to secretly enable its GPS and get it to post its position whenever/wherever that phone is next connected to a network.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I use Avast antivirus and it has protection on it. I can send a text to my phone and with avast it can lock the phone or set off a siren. Handy if the phone is lost in the house sometimes :D.

also been using avast for last 3 years, havent seen that feature on it:confused: