Stoke Park (Buckinghamshire)

batchworth

Visit site
Has anyone heard anything about Stoke Park in Bucks? Rumours going around that it was bought by a very rich individual as a present for his daughter, and apparently it is closed why they redevelop it. Heard someone say that part of the redevelopment involved digging up a hole so she could have a vegetable garden close to the house.

This venue was made famous by the 'Goldfinger' film and the Daniel Craig Film 'Layer Cake'

Website just says closed until 2023

stoke-park-entrance.jpg

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s been bought by I believe the second richest Indian

He is closing it for two years whilst the redevelop the tennis centre , sort out the house and then the golf course

All members have been asked to leave and can then rejoin when reopen with a joining fee of around £200k

The course isn’t that great and managed to overcharge by a lot

batchworth

Visit site
'The course isn’t that great and managed to overcharge by a lot'

I played there as a present on my 40th (about 7 years ago), and was very impressed by the course and grounds. Not sure if the course went downhill after that.

evolve528

Visit site
Being quite local I've heard the same rumours that it's likely to never open as a golf course again and instead will just be a residential home with massive grounds!

Very inconvenient for the members (I guess ex-members more appropriate) there's not really any other members clubs of the same calibre close to Slough, they'll have to look at somewhere like Flackwell Heath, Gerrards Cross or Stoke Poges.

Never played the course but always seemed very expensive!

Grizzly

Visit site
Played there quite a few times - its a reciprocal for the Bucks where a friend was a member so I got on cheap - and I always thought the main combination of 9's was decent enough, though it tended to have tw to three months of peak condition and the rest of the year bang average because they didn't protect it at all. The third loop is rather poor.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Played there a few times on Corporate Days over the years. Old holes were decent enough when in good condition. Hospitality was good, bar prices were off the charts.

Always "Dined out" on the filming of Bond 60 years earlier!

Heard the story about the sale a few the back. Mixed stories about the future of golf there, so will have to wait and see.

4LEX

Visit site
The new owner is trying to turn it into a Queenwood type place. Definitely a market for that given it's prime location to Heathrow and central London.

It's tired and needed investment anyway, so hopefully it'll re-open in a few years time.

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played it on Monday, thought it was quite good to be fair and had a really enjoyable round of golf. Closes this coming Monday for redevelopment, apparently that will also include a cricket pitch, but not heard any mention of re opening either after the redevelopment.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Quite over rated imo. Too expensive for its quality but would be ok at a reasonable price. It was a fair while back I played it

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I lived quite near in the late 90s and played a few times but it always had a higher presence of Chelsea footballers and yahoo City boys for my taste. A bit vulgar in places. The old course is good, if not great. Didn't like the reopened newer 9 much at all.

This practice of going full private, driving out the old members and charging a load of cash to join or stay (The Wentworth model) is rather distasteful. I suspect the sorts of members they are looking for are the sort who don't play too much golf.

sunshine

Visit site
It’s a beautiful place, gorgeous clubhouse and a trip there does feel special. More so if you are a Bond fan.

But the course is (was?) over rated and I would have never paid the ridiculous prices they charge. Only ever been there on corporate hospitality