Steve Rider ..... The man is worth 1000 Luggy's

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having just watched the Champions League final and the excellent way Steve Rider orchestrated proceedings from the studio I just want to say he is and always will be the best sports anchor we have in the UK.

When you watch his professionalism and compare him to the obnoxious pain in the 4R5E that is Gary Lineker it makes me angry that license fee payers money is funding the fud.

The BBC must be wishing they had never dropped the most charismatic sports broadcaster they have had on their books.

Thanks Steve.

B

birdieman

I watched it on sky sports simply because of the ITV commentator Clive Tyldesley, he just really annoys me, thought the Sky boys (Martin Tyler and Andy Gray) were very good.
Souness and Redknapp were ok too in the studio though you could tell who Redknapp wanted to win, I know Redknapp isn't everyone's cup of tea but for me he's ok.
Dont know who was punditing for ITV - Townsend and Earle?

ps agree about Steve Ryder, best since Des Lynam.

pjaz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Too right. I watched Luggy at the Masters then saw Steve Ryder on something else about the same time and the gulf in quality was glaring.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Over in Ireland on RTE we have, in my opinion, the best and most honest analysis for all CL games, world cups etc from our pundits.
We have John Giles, Liam Brady and Eamon Dunphy, occassionally Ronnie Whelan, Ray Houghton and Graeme Souness who is totally different to when he is on Sky.
The pundits are not cheerleaders and will call it as they see it. They are admirably prompted by the host Bill O'Herlihy.

On some occassions the discussions are fairly heated but great TV.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think my lack of respect for the lugged one is well documented here. He can't even hold an interview without interrupting far more knowledgeable and interesting people than himself. He's done it with Peter Alliss, Sam Torrance and today with Ken Brown. He just likes the sound of his own voice, I'm afraid. The best interviewers listen, not talk. He has a lot to learn from the masters, Messrs Ryder and Alliss.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Re CL we get it via ESPN out here, oh to have Martin and Andy back ............

And for Wentworth coverage it's the European Tour productions team, Juliain Tutt and Renton Laidlaw :cool: