Starting Golf On A Budget

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
personally i would go SH now, when i first took it up i went for one of those Dunlop starter sets from SD, waste of money, though you did get the whole lot bag, clubs, balls, brolly, tee's etc for £100

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
i bought a slazenger starter set when i retook up the game after an 18 yr gap.
people poo pooed them and yet i won our golf club champs with them all be it h/cap .and on the range one evening our lowest h/capper was there hitting a few ,along with other low cappers ,i said to the lowest guy that he ought to try my clubs .and dont look to see what they are just hit a few shots with them .he was almost offering me money to buy them as they performed so well for him ,it was then i said look at what you have been hitting before parting with your hard earned. he couldnt believe that they were so good and every bit as good as his TM`s that he uses . he hit a load more balls with them saying that it was really difficult to fault them as they felt good in the hands and didnt look too heavy on the top line . i still have these irons as a spare set and every now and then put them in the bag ,i even surprise myself how good they perform and wonder why i ever changed to another set costing ten times as much ,then i remember i won the other set and they ost me nothing .but thats another story.
slazenger irons do perform well so dont just diss them without first trying them out for yourself .its easy to follow the sheep ,but in doing so you might just miss out on a decent set of clubs that cost less than a ton brand new.

Tom Sharp

Visit site
i bought a slazenger starter set when i retook up the game after an 18 yr gap.
people poo pooed them and yet i won our golf club champs with them all be it h/cap .and on the range one evening our lowest h/capper was there hitting a few ,along with other low cappers ,i said to the lowest guy that he ought to try my clubs .and dont look to see what they are just hit a few shots with them .he was almost offering me money to buy them as they performed so well for him ,it was then i said look at what you have been hitting before parting with your hard earned. he couldnt believe that they were so good and every bit as good as his TM`s that he uses . he hit a load more balls with them saying that it was really difficult to fault them as they felt good in the hands and didnt look too heavy on the top line . i still have these irons as a spare set and every now and then put them in the bag ,i even surprise myself how good they perform and wonder why i ever changed to another set costing ten times as much ,then i remember i won the other set and they ost me nothing .but thats another story.
slazenger irons do perform well so dont just diss them without first trying them out for yourself .its easy to follow the sheep ,but in doing so you might just miss out on a decent set of clubs that cost less than a ton brand new.
I think you have hit the nail on the head really. Just goes to show that you don't need to spend a load of money to get good results, if you are a good player then you can make anything work.