Starting Golf On A Budget

Tom Sharp

Visit site
One of the things that put me off playing golf for ages was the steep cost of getting back into the game. The expense of buying a set of clubs, equipment and signing up to a club just seemed too much for me. After deliberating for a month I decided that I really wanted to take the plunge and so I started looking for a set of cheap clubs. Being 6ft5, however, meant that I couldn't just pick up any set because shorter clubs seemed to really hurt my game, and my back. After doing some research on google I managed to find a set of 8 +1” longer Ram EZ3 irons for £75 on Amazon and so I made the purchase. I ended up getting a golf bag from Argos as they had a discount on their sportswear by using a voucher code from here and I was able to pick up the bag the same day as my clubs arrived.

I have since been playing at my local pitch and putt in Bath and it is a very affordable way to enjoy golf, at around £6 for 18 holes. I do have plans to play full holes at some stage but I think that pitch and putt is the perfect way to learn the game in the meantime. As for improving, I was lucky to be able to attend a free beginners golf lesson by a pro held at one of the local clubs, this was great and definitely worth looking out for in your area if you are new because they offer so many great tips. I have also been watching several Youtubers, including Rick Shiels, and I find the lessons that they give invaluable.

Tom

16107087496_a9c24be7ce_b.jpg
(Bath Approach Golf)

AdamC28

Visit site
Welcome,
I think they way you've approached getting into golf is spot on.
As much as many Youtubers would lead you to believe that the new £500 driver will make you a better player many people play to a good standard with entry level/used equipment.
Pitch and putt courses can be great fun and having a good short game that you can develop there will transfer well into a full length course.
From the picture it looks like you've found a top place to play (y)

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Good place to start! There's plenty of decent second hand stuff kicking around for good value.

When you want to make the jump to a full sized course, Tracy Park is only £20 per round and the second course at The Players Club is only £20 in the afternoon too. Bath GC (Sham Castle) is only £20 after 4pm in summer...

And if you play once a week, Lansdown is cheaper than that if you join! see here!

Enjoy the journey!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Great.

Golf is definitely one of those hobbies that does require financial commitment - but if you have an accessible course close to you with reasonable fees - you can get good bang for your buck with a second hand set of clubs and a very low pay per play rate if you can join and play regularly.

The problem is for people who want to get into it and want to play at a nice course on a Saturday but only want to play a dozen times a year.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Might be wrong, and apologies if not, but pretty sure this is a spam bot. Username is just their name, arbitrary picture, random links embedded in first post, one of them to a random Voucher code website, has all the hallmarks of a spam bot.

Tom Sharp

Visit site
Good place to start! There's plenty of decent second hand stuff kicking around for good value.

When you want to make the jump to a full sized course, Tracy Park is only £20 per round and the second course at The Players Club is only £20 in the afternoon too. Bath GC (Sham Castle) is only £20 after 4pm in summer...

And if you play once a week, Lansdown is cheaper than that if you join! see here!

Enjoy the journey!
I didn't realize that Sham Castle was cheaper in the afternoon, I live very close to it so I will definitely consider playing there as it looks great! Entry Hill looks like a nice place for beginners too and green fees are very cheap considering that you don't have to be a member so I might start my full-length holes there!

Might be wrong, and apologies if not, but pretty sure this is a spam bot. Username is just their name, arbitrary picture, random links embedded in first post, one of them to a random Voucher code website, has all the hallmarks of a spam bot.
I assure you that I'm not a spam bot, I'm just a new golfer looking to share and learn tips with some other players.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'll be honest, I thought that as well for a second. If it is spam he's put more effort in than the others did. :LOL:

Tom Sharp

Visit site
I'll be honest, I thought that as well for a second. If it is spam he's put more effort in than the others did. :LOL:
You're beginning to make me question my own existence :LOL:

I was looking at getting a driver on the cheap and I saw that Sports Direct sell some very cheap ones, as a new player would I be okay with one of these or are they worth avoiding?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have a look at places like Golfbidder. Loads of choice and each club will have a comment where relevant saying it's 1/2 inch longer, 2 degrees flat etcif its not a bog standard club/set and so ideal to try and find something to suit. They also do a 7 day returns policy as well.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
You're beginning to make me question my own existence :LOL:

I was looking at getting a driver on the cheap and I saw that Sports Direct sell some very cheap ones, as a new player would I be okay with one of these or are they worth avoiding?

Avoid Sports Direct equipment. Pick up a Titleist 910D2 or a Ping G15 off eBay or Golfbidder, nice and forgiving, still perform admirably and will perform and last much better than a dodgy Slazenger or Dunlop driver.

Fabia999

Visit site
I started with a Sports direct Slazenger set. It worked very well until I was confident enough to get fitted. They're not bad as a starter set but in hindsight I should have gone for an older set. I don't think you'll beat the price of the Slazenger, you'd have to get a very old set.

Tom Sharp

Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions! I actually managed to find an older driver in a charity shop for very cheap so I will start with that and see how I get on. :)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Re sets to suit your height is fairly easy to pick up good quality sets off ebay to the correct spec.

Go to the ping website and do a static fit to get an idea. PS it is not necessarily height that is important but wrist to floor measurement.

I picked up a set of Titleist irons for just £70 for my son (he is 6'4") .