Srixon q star

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
About 5-8 yards with driver and about 7-10 with irons. All approaches into greens with decent strike were front/first third with new model. Couple of times put the older model down (no-one behind) and it would travel far further up the green and be longer off the tee

Surprising differences. Perhaps this is the way you strike it and that the ball is not suited to you?

D

Deleted member 16999

Tried one tonight alongside an AD333 Tour. Bit disappointed and definitely shorter (for me) than the model its replaced. Won't bother getting anymore
About 5-8 yards with driver and about 7-10 with irons. All approaches into greens with decent strike were front/first third with new model. Couple of times put the older model down (no-one behind) and it would travel far further up the green and be longer off the tee
Puts on tin hat.

Sorry Homer but how can you consider that a fair assessment when last night you posted in “I played today thread..” how fatigued you were and how poorly you played last night?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I find with the AD333 that it divides opinion. I've tried them and don't like them that much, yet others love that. It's all horses for courses I guess.
Maybe that's why they rebranded it as the Q Star

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Puts on tin hat.

Sorry Homer but how can you consider that a fair assessment when last night you posted in “I played today thread..” how fatigued you were and how poorly you played last night?
Not knackered by the time I'd played 2nd (approach shots) 3rd (drive and approach) and 4th (drive). In my opinion the Q star definitely feels softer than the AD333 tour and doesn't go as far. Agreed there may be some vagaries with the drives in terms of a good bounce and roll but definitely shorter with irons, even taking into account any degree of fatigue.

At the end of the day it was a simple observation based on how I found it last night. I had said I'd put one in play which I did and quite simply found it didn't perform as well as the ball it is replacing. I could go and do a youtube video to prove the point but no one really needs to suffer that

D

Deleted member 16999

Not knackered by the time I'd played 2nd (approach shots) 3rd (drive and approach) and 4th (drive). In my opinion the Q star definitely feels softer than the AD333 tour and doesn't go as far. Agreed there may be some vagaries with the drives in terms of a good bounce and roll but definitely shorter with irons, even taking into account any degree of fatigue.

At the end of the day it was a simple observation based on how I found it last night. I had said I'd put one in play which I did and quite simply found it didn't perform as well as the ball it is replacing. I could go and do a youtube video to prove the point but no one really needs to suffer that
Never said knackered and your reply can read like you hit it 4 shots in total with one, that’s not exactly a huge amount to be so specific in the yardages you gave for Irons and Drives, on the back of saying you also used an old version on one hole for an approach I took it you were trying it on most holes, hence the confusion and it may of made sense why you struggled last night.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Never said knackered and your reply can read like you hit it 4 shots in total with one, that’s not exactly a huge amount to be so specific in the yardages you gave for Irons and Drives, on the back of saying you also used an old version on one hole for an approach I took it you were trying it on most holes, hence the confusion and it may of made sense why you struggled last night.
Fatigued/knackered - semantics

My post was an example of hitting both balls on a hole over course of a few holes. I did repeat it a couple of times on the back nine but as you say at that point there would have been a greater degree of variance due to tiredness and heat. I played the Q star throughout and even when I didn't hit the other, it came up short on drives when using fixed points like a tree in the rough compared to how far past I'd expect to be with a different ball. Also felt I had to club up or hit harder to squeeze the right distance on approaches. Simply as I found it. Given an opinion

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Look at the iron Byron results for ad333 ... it shows that they are within 300rpm on wedge spin to a pro v and driver spin wasn’t far apart ..
What it proves is the subjective scoring is at best random and it’s more about perception.. a bit like saying all girls called Lucy are the best dinner dates

D

Deleted member 16999

Fatigued/knackered - semantics

My post was an example of hitting both balls on a hole over course of a few holes. I did repeat it a couple of times on the back nine but as you say at that point there would have been a greater degree of variance due to tiredness and heat. I played the Q star throughout and even when I didn't hit the other, it came up short on drives when using fixed points like a tree in the rough compared to how far past I'd expect to be with a different ball. Also felt I had to club up or hit harder to squeeze the right distance on approaches. Simply as I found it. Given an opinion
No worries, it wasn’t a trick question as suggested.
You were quite precise in your initial posts and as we are aware you write a blog and test products, some of which you get sent for free, I therefore, incorrectly assumed you were doing a review.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Look at the iron Byron results for ad333 ... it shows that they are within 300rpm on wedge spin to a pro v and driver spin wasn’t far apart ..
What it proves is the subjective scoring is at best random and it’s more about perception.. a bit like saying all girls called Lucy are the best dinner dates
I've never dated a girl called Lucy but if you can provide one I'm happy to compare against other girls (y)

D

Deleted member 21258

I've never dated a girl called Lucy but if you can provide one I'm happy to compare against other girls (y)

I would rank differently to Harpo_72, Olive is the one to go for first, then Kale and afterwards I would go for Peaches and then Coco last.;)

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And there you I have taken this to the correct level ? as for a dinner date I thank my lucky stars if I get one .. and like every beginner I am not worried if it’s not Lucy .. although I am sure I would see if I could find a Lucy that some one has discarded .. and then pass judgement

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I used one today as my pro gave me a sleeve to try and give him some feedback.

Very similar off the tee with my 3w, irons were longer as I went through a few greens.

I loved them around the green, I chipped in for birdie on our 1st, chipped to 4” on 2nd and 6” out of bunker on 3rd, nearly chipped in (lipped) on 6, and felt great off the putter.

For me it performed like a premium ball, so for a 3-piece around £30 a dozen, it’s a potential winner.

I’ll use it in my Comp tomorrow and give one a proper thorough test.

I’ve been using Snell MTB-X since the course has reopened, and I’ve played very well and liked them, but there was something about these Q’s that just felt so nice around the greens, that I got up & down for 4 pars and a chipped in birdie on our front 9 earlier.

I’d played with AD333 Tours before, and these are better imo, pushing very close to the Z-Star, but a 3-piece.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Z star XV is the 4 piece. I assume the Q star is different from an outer layer point of view

Spin skin = urethane mix

Q star 2 layer outer layer is spin skin

Q star tour 3 layer outer layer spin skin

Z star 3 layer outer layer spin skin

Last edited: