SPOTY

DCB

Visit site
I can never understand how people can say it's fixed

The ten nominees are decided by a panel of 12 with sporting achievements fully in the criteria

Then the public vote for the winner

It's very rare when people who should be on the list miss out and then it's a public vote

And if that's not fixed, the I don't know what is.

There'll never be another winner like David Steele, remember him.... Cricketer came in to an Ashes series and was a revelation in the middle order.

With a 'fixed list' it's not really anything special is it.

mikee247

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Im sure its fixed in more subtle way.;) I think most watchers know this deep down. The Beeb manipulate their winners for reasons only known to them. Perhaps to promote certain sports at some certain times (or via a nice bung from the associations!!) and even out contenders accordingly. Personally its lost mileage with me for that reason. When Ryan Giggs won it that year (and I'm a big fan!) it was obvious to me as I could not see the majority of the voting public going for him because 1. He's an overpaid footballer or 2. Most football fans are hugely tribal and Scousers, Cockneys and anyone not a Utd fan just wouldn't have voted for a Manc etc....Possible the same could be said for Queenie's grand daughter winning and the odd jockey of late.. I'm not knocking their efforts and achievements far from it..but if you look at some of the winners in the past and who they were up against sometimes it becomes a bit of a joke ... That's why IMO its lost some kudos and tends to be a bit OTT. I like the years summary's however of all the sport activity! :) Who won it last year....?

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
It's not fixed but it is part popularity contest, and not based purely on sporting achievements. So the most popular sportsperson for whatever reason will win it, some of it may be because they have achieved great sporting endevours, some of it may be because they are a good loser, the queens granddaughter, ridden a few winners for them whatever, and the public just likes them.

Doesn't make it fixed though.

Last edited:

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Murray won it last yr

Pah, apart from enduring immense sporting pressure and ending an 80 odd year wait to win Wimbledon in arguably the most difficult time to win a Grand Slam due to the quality of opponents around, what did he do???

Fix.

mikee247

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Pah, apart from enduring immense sporting pressure and ending an 80 odd year wait to win Wimbledon in arguably the most difficult time to win a Grand Slam due to the quality of opponents around, what did he do???

Fix.

:) he did OK that year for sure... Trouble is will he be able to win it again if he's not British?? I suppose he could win the Overseas player of the year..... :p

D

Deleted member 15344

Im sure its fixed in more subtle way.;) I think most watchers know this deep down. The Beeb manipulate their winners for reasons only known to them. Perhaps to promote certain sports at some certain times (or via a nice bung from the associations!!) and even out contenders accordingly. Personally its lost mileage with me for that reason. When Ryan Giggs won it that year (and I'm a big fan!) it was obvious to me as I could not see the majority of the voting public going for him because 1. He's an overpaid footballer or 2. Most football fans are hugely tribal and Scousers, Cockneys and anyone not a Utd fan just wouldn't have voted for a Manc etc....Possible the same could be said for Queenie's grand daughter winning and the odd jockey of late.. I'm not knocking their efforts and achievements far from it..but if you look at some of the winners in the past and who they were up against sometimes it becomes a bit of a joke ... That's why IMO its lost some kudos and tends to be a bit OTT. I like the years summary's however of all the sport activity! :) Who won it last year....?

The amount of votes each person is always made public

Thankfully the British public recognise when sports people make significant achievements

Like Zara Phillips winning every equestrian event that year and McCoy finally winning the Grand National

Giggs was a strange one and but he was rewarded for a career of achievements

Every winner has been justified and the voting has been open

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
And if that's not fixed, the I don't know what is.

There'll never be another winner like David Steele, remember him.... Cricketer came in to an Ashes series and was a revelation in the middle order.

With a 'fixed list' it's not really anything special is it.

Cricketers should be excluded.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There's a definite bias in the way certain members of the short list are promoted far more than others. At the end of the day it's a schedule filler once a year. I'm never going to lose any sleep over who win's it or whether they should have

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It was fixed in the late 1980s when The Angling Times arranged for a mass postal vote (as the forms came from The Radio Times) for Bob Nutt. He received the most votes but the BBC excluded them all under some spurious reason.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It was fixed in the late 1980s when The Angling Times arranged for a mass postal vote (as the forms came from The Radio Times) for Bob Nutt. He received the most votes but the BBC excluded them all under some spurious reason.

Are you still carping on about that!

;)