Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I just want to leave this here by the way:

personality
/pəːsəˈnalɪti/
Learn to pronounce
noun
the combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individual's distinctive character.
"she had a sunny personality that was very engaging"
a celebrity or famous person.
"an official opening by a famous personality"

I'm pretty sure the award title uses the second definition, so comments about whether they have a personality or not are pointless. :LOL:

I think it is reasonable to expect a personality to have a personality, much like a character having some character or a human having some humanity, since one is the person and the other the essence of the person.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it is reasonable to expect a personality to have a personality, much like a character having some character or a human having some humanity, since one is the person and the other the essence of the person.
That may be what you want to see, but I don't think it is factored into the official reckoning for the award.

D

Deleted member 15344

Everyone has a “personality” ?‍♂️

I don’t know why everyone always gets fixated on the word

It’s the public voting on who they think is the best Sportsman or women of the year from a predetermined list

Swango1980

Visit site
The same comments are made every year. People need to realise that, despite its name, the award is effectively sports person of the year. Sure, if it is a tight call, perhaps an engaging personality might be considered as some people vote.

If the award was purely on personality, then you could have a sportsperson who wins every single major honour, but has no chance of winning the BBC award as they are boring (as many sports people are these days, as their mentors teach them how to conduct interviews by giving bland answers, rather than risk creating controversy). Meanwhile, you could have someone as successful as Phil Jones, but with the personality of Robin Williams or Billy Connolly, who win the award every single year.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
To sum it up in my mind:

The award is a bit of a National Institution
The show itself is now pretty awful
It used to be a decent retrospective of the sporting year
The splitting of sporting rights means that no one channel can really do a decent review of the sporting year.
The BBC have really made it a pretty tacky event over the years.
It may have got better as have not watched it for probably 5 years.
The final list of names for the main award does not really impact on sporting achievement.
Minority sports go ignored as to what achievements are deemed worthy but they always find a way to shoehorn a footballer in.
It does grind my gears to see the BBC fawning over sports that they really have no interest in showing.
Personality is a term of description for an individual with an attempt to make it sound a bt glitzy and not a required attritbute or trait.
Those who achieve something later in the year have far more chance of winning than if you won in January as the public will have forgotten about it already.
The award is for achievement in the current year. Great as he is, Hamilton is not a the top of the table this year.

Swango1980

Visit site
Just looked at the odds on Betfair. Harry Maguire is 250/1. Harry Kane is 100/1. Raheem Sterling is 66/1.

I have no idea WHY any of these are even on the list, even with high odds. Surely they have ZERO chance, just as much as me winning it myself for coming 3rd in a pairs betterball event this weekend? They've not done anything to justify coming close to winning it so far this year. What can they do between now and December to suddenly have a chance. There are no major honours for them to play for. Harry Kane could score a hat trick in every game between now and December, and still not be in contention.

Emma Raducanu will win it, but Tom Daley, Adam Peaty, Lewis Hamilton and Tyson Fury might all be considered outside contenders. Anyone else should surely just be ruled out now, unless they can win something major before December.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just looked at the odds on Betfair. Harry Maguire is 250/1. Harry Kane is 100/1. Raheem Sterling is 66/1.

I have no idea WHY any of these are even on the list, even with high odds. Surely they have ZERO chance, just as much as me winning it myself for coming 3rd in a pairs betterball event this weekend? They've not done anything to justify coming close to winning it so far this year. What can they do between now and December to suddenly have a chance. There are no major honours for them to play for. Harry Kane could score a hat trick in every game between now and December, and still not be in contention.

Emma Raducanu will win it, but Tom Daley, Adam Peaty, Lewis Hamilton and Tyson Fury might all be considered outside contenders. Anyone else should surely just be ruled out now, unless they can win something major before December.

The public have a bit of a soft spot for Tom Daley and he has a good 'story' of so many times being close but never quite winning. I think that he will be a strong challenger.

IanMcC

Visit site
SPOTY - the good looking tennis player
Team - The Olympic mob
Coach - The England footy guy
Overseas - The Denmark footy mob