• Emma Raducanu

Votes: 20 66.7%
  • Others

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Going a bit off topic here but as SPOTY is one of the BEEBS most promoted programs what do you think of the Corporation.

Are you still happy to pay the licence fee for an unaccountable institution which has had more than its fair share of cover-ups?
What do you think of its bland and risk free programming which over relies on cookery, gardening and dancing?
Would you still watch the same if BBC 1 and 2 are switched to channels 64 and 65?

Oh, and do you think SPOTY has never been fixed?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Going a bit off topic here but as SPOTY is one of the BEEBS most promoted programs what do you think of the Corporation.

Are you still happy to pay the licence fee for an unaccountable institution which has had more than its fair share of cover-ups?
What do you think of its bland and risk free programming which over relies on cookery, gardening and dancing?
Would you still watch the same if BBC 1 and 2 are switched to channels 64 and 65?

Oh, and do you think SPOTY has never been fixed?

The BBC show precious little top sport and the SPOTY show is quite ridiculous for that reason alone. I haven't watched it for a few years now and most certainly won't again this year

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
The BBC show precious little top sport and the SPOTY show is quite ridiculous for that reason alone. I haven't watched it for a few years now and most certainly won't again this year

Yet they over spend a lot of our money on executives and presenters.
The award is far more likely to be given to an individual than a team member, so Raducanu is clear favourite already.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Raducanu's a one hit wonder in my eyes - not a SPOTY.

Rashford deserves a knighthood - not SPOTY, his actions were not sports related.

Hamilton all the way from that list for me!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

I am pretty much the same. Most years they do not own enough rights to show highlights to actually make the show worthwhile (I remember when it was Sports Review of the Year and the Personality award was a small part at the end). It may be better this year as they have olympic and Euros highlights but most years and most sports the coverage of the year in sport is laughable as the BBC have to footage.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is a foregone conclusion unless pictures appear in The Sun of Emma Raducanu strangling kittens while doing lines of coke.

Peaty was already known to be a great swimmer and took it further, Rashford added non-spring credentials, Hamilton drives a highly technical vehicle very fast, good for him, but Raducanu is the sensational arrival of the year, and unlike many SPOTY winners, appears to actually have the P in SPOTY.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Usually, in an Olympic year, it’s given to one of them. Tom Daily my favourite of that lot.

But this year, who knows.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The interesting thing for me is Tyson Fury. He is “ arguably “ the best heavyweight of his generation who did a job on a gobby guy. Normally that’s a shoe in for SPOTY. But the daft lad has History. So what’s interesting? Will the BBC put him forward. And if they do what will the publics response be.
If he gets nominated, watch the reaction. If he don’t get nominated,watch the reaction.

Swango1980

Visit site
Raducanu without a shadow of a doubt. She is firm favourite, just as Hamilton was last year. So much so, I stuck a few hundred quid on him to win (for a pretty small return), and might do the same on her this year on her. Tyson Fury may well come runnerup, or maybe Daley

Rashford was already doing his charitable work before last year's event, and BBC confirmed that it is given for achievements in sport. So, he has no chance.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
SPOTY has always had too much fascination with F1 drivers and cyclists. What about giving it to people who don't use a vehicle?

Maybe if an F1 driver moved their chunk of money to the UK and paid the tax on it, it would show some personality. The charity stuff can be made to work for them by a smart accountant.

Grizzly

Visit site
Realistically, its got to be Emma Raducanu - quite aside from the fact that winning the US Open as a Qualified is unheard of, as - at least in my not overly short lifetime - is a British female Grand Slam champion, she definitely hits the personality criteria that annoys a lot of people but has to be a factor. She may never reach the same heights again - women's tennis is odd in that regard - but right now I'm struggling to see another credible contender. Laura Kenny might get close, the swimmer from Maidenhead whose name escapes me could surprise a few people, but in essence...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just want to leave this here by the way:

personality
/pəːsəˈnalɪti/
Learn to pronounce
noun
the combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individual's distinctive character.
"she had a sunny personality that was very engaging"
a celebrity or famous person.
"an official opening by a famous personality"

I'm pretty sure the award title uses the second definition, so comments about whether they have a personality or not are pointless. :LOL:

yandabrown

Visit site
I just want to leave this here by the way:

personality
/pəːsəˈnalɪti/
Learn to pronounce
noun
the combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individual's distinctive character.
"she had a sunny personality that was very engaging"
a celebrity or famous person.
"an official opening by a famous personality"

I'm pretty sure the award title uses the second definition, so comments about whether they have a personality or not are pointless. :LOL:
So in reality it should be Sports Celebrity Of The Year, SCOTY? :)

D

Deleted member 15344

So in reality it should be Sports Celebrity Of The Year, SCOTY? :)

It was called Personality because I believe ITV at the time had an awards ceremony that used the sportsman of the year etc

Each year it’s always the same

They have no personality blah
The BBC don’t care about sport blah
Overpaid presenters instead of sports blah

As for the winner - it should be Radicanou - that is the outstanding sporting achievement this year

Overseas will prob be Ronaldo