Spine Angle At Impact

TobyRich1928

Head Pro
Visit site
How important is the spine angle at impact? mine is fine for most of the swing, but at impact my shoulders seem to hunch up and i then have a very hunched position at impact? how much will this effect my game and if so, are there any drills to stop it happening? btw my bad shot is a low pull or a high fade/slice :p cheers

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Sounds like you need to clear your hips properly on the way down. The left hip clears (to the left and behind you) enabling you to retain a good posture through the ball.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It should be important but the good news is that you can get away with it. Check out how much I lift on the way down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jON7nzyUow

The bad news is that with such movement it is hard to play well and you need to be timing everything well. I am trying to work on being more on top of the ball through impact but it is slow progress especially when you can't get out and practice (and after so many years with the fault so ingrained)

percy_layer

Challenge Tour Pro
www.davidord.com
How important is the spine angle at impact? mine is fine for most of the swing, but at impact my shoulders seem to hunch up and i then have a very hunched position at impact? how much will this effect my game and if so, are there any drills to stop it happening? btw my bad shot is a low pull or a high fade/slice :p cheers

Any chance of video of your swing and putting it on youtube for us to look at?

Sounds like you're going under your left shoulder when striking the ball. When your left shoulder blocks your throughswing, the swing gets very cramped and the hands get 'flippy' through the ball. When your left side clears out of the way, the arms and club are very stable through the shot improving your consistency and power.

PM me if you have any questions

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Any chance of video of your swing and putting it on youtube for us to look at?

Charlie,

The video I posted was pre-lesson changes (which started in December) where I'm trying to to get the hips turning more level as oppsed to sliding. My pro and I are trying to get a feeling of being much more on top of the ball and compressing down. However any general comments would be appreciated