Sore left thumb. Prevention and cure

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Morning

I have given myself a really sore and stiff left thumb. It hurts enough that i cant currently swing a club without it affecting the swing.

From the bottom knuckle to the fleshy part just before the wrist. Hurts the most at the top of my back swing.

I think that it is mostly down to bashing lots of range balls but i imagine there is also an issue with my grip / swing. I have been working a LOT on getting more on plane, specifically on stopping taking the club back well inside the line.

For the last while i have been making a real effort to get more vertical and and its really working for me. I have also been doing this in conjunction with lessons from a top coach and ex European tour player.

He is pretty happy with my grip and progress, yet my thumb is bloody killing me

I am going to mention it too him at my next lesson on Friday but wanted to know if anyone else had suffered and knew a good way treating it?

Thinking just anti inflammatory and gel etc

tried rest for the last 4 weeks but after 100 balls yesterday its bad today. Need it sorted as i am playing Hillside on Monday..

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ta chaps

Wife is a senior physiotherapist and i have tendinitis, as diagnosed by her.

However she is not a overly familiar with grip / swing faults that cause to sore thumb in the first place. Hence me asking the question on here. :thup: (pun intended)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have moved it so its more pointing at the ground, just to a point where I don't get pain at the top of the backswing. It has meant a subtle grip adjustment, but anything to continue playing:)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just to clarify, as I realise my post wasnt that clear...I've moved the thumb more down the side/across the grip rather than down the top of the grip:)

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just to clarify, as I realise my post wasnt that clear...I've moved the thumb more down the side/across the grip rather than down the top of the grip:)

Makes Sense cheer bud

I’ve had to can my lesson as I can’t even hold the club properly at the mo.

Playing hillside Monday and need to rest it ideally. Gutted

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
how the grip hold is in the palm so where the lead thumb lies can mean the hand moves as it really should not coming into & thru impact - as there's a whole bunch of forces & torques in arms & hands at the speed the club head is approaching impact

but even if the grip hold is sound repetition & heavy ground/mat contact with the forces & torques can easily strain any of the fingers/thumb or palm/wrist muscles/tendons

lead hand as a good optimum hold really want the handle in the lead hand to run at the base of the fingers across at as near 90º as can make it so the hand closes the last 3 fingers look at 90º to the handle - in doing this the thumb will be on rightsize top of the handle as you look down

what also plays into possible hand pain is how the hands set find the snuff box joint on the top of the wrist as you look down the lead hand sets upwards on that joint - if the lead hand set with more of a pronate & roll over of the wrist that too can cause issues at the speed & under the forces that occur into impact

re- grip holdfor instance don't know if you saw the Tiger driver swing video (think from monday/tuesdays practice round) - white top white shorts with TM M driver - if you can find it look at a still of address & zoom in on the hands & you will plainly see those last 3 fingers at pretty much 90º to the handle - just using that as it's pretty topical - but look at majority pga tour pro's & will see very similar 'angles' finger to handle

Last edited: