Solar panels , would you ?

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
All depends where you are in the country. I'm in Devon - generated 12kWh yesterday and 1.8kWh today (which has been foul, had to cancel my golf 😡)
Cancelling golf on a weekday, you not getting much sympathy ;-)

Looking at my solcast forecast it seems right now. Also, tomorrow is like today, Wednesday like Saturday, Thursday a bit down on both. But good times ahead overall.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cancelling golf on a weekday, you not getting much sympathy ;-)

Looking at my solcast forecast it seems right now. Also, tomorrow is like today, Wednesday like Saturday, Thursday a bit down on both. But good times ahead overall.
I agree.. +1

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our survey is being done on Tuesday. Hopefully be done by the end of the month.

Appointment was for 08:00 and he arrived at 08:00. Not bad considering we are not using a local installer and they've travelled to us from Yorkshire. Every contact with the firm so far has been excellent.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry if already discussed, but I'm catching up with this solar tech and having a few questions.

Does anyone have experience with:

- SolarEdge inverter? If other, which one do you have?
- Hyundai panels? If other, which ones do you have?
- a SolarEdge battery? If other, which one do you have?
- if you have a battery, does it sit on DC (SolarEdge) or AC (Tesla) side of the inverter?
- what's your energy plan?
- a long shot: is anyone on 3-phase?

Any pointers/feedback are much appreciated.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry if already discussed, but I'm catching up with this solar tech and having a few questions.

Does anyone have experience with:

- SolarEdge inverter? If other, which one do you have?
- Hyundai panels? If other, which ones do you have?
- a SolarEdge battery? If other, which one do you have?
- if you have a battery, does it sit on DC (SolarEdge) or AC (Tesla) side of the inverter?
- what's your energy plan?
- a long shot: is anyone on 3-phase?

Any pointers/feedback are much appreciated.

@GreiginFife has 3 phase

The inverter for me is the powerwall, it has it own Inverter

Intelligent go tariff

Ja panels. Panel is a panel, the inverter is key

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The inverter for me is the powerwall, it has it own Inverter

Ja panels. Panel is a panel, the inverter is key

Thought the power wall inverter is independent and you still neeed another inverter regardless.

The panels do seem to differ quite a lot based on efficiency and loss on temperature variations. Also there is a system that comes with micro inverters in each panel as opposed to a single big inverter.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thought the power wall inverter is independent and you still neeed another inverter regardless.

The panels do seem to differ quite a lot based on efficiency and loss on temperature variations. Also there is a system that comes with micro inverters in each panel as opposed to a single big inverter.

Apologies, yes it needs another inverter but powerwall is compatible with them .

Micro inverters is what I have, they are very good altho if they go wrong it's a scaffolding job

Depends if you suffer from shading etc

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Micro inverters is what I have, they are very good altho if they go wrong it's a scaffolding job
I don't have microinverters (no shading issues), but have heard that some installations bring the DC cables into the loft and mount the microinverters there so they are easy to replace if they fail. Sounds like a sensible idea.

Re. the earlier questions, I've always felt that SolarEdge's patter about their "optimisers" sounds dangerously close to BS. Most panels have three or six bypass diodes anyway. So that makes me suspicious of the company as a whole.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Appointment was for 08:00 and he arrived at 08:00. Not bad considering we are not using a local installer and they've travelled to us from Yorkshire. Every contact with the firm so far has been excellent.
Installation date of 9th April.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The turn around is very quick these days

My parents are being told 2-4 weeks for powerwall and battery

Same company I waited 8 weeks solar and like 8 months for the battery
How much is powerwall battery where they are? Is it 2 or 3 version?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How much is powerwall battery where they are? Is it 2 or 3 version?

See I haven't got the breakdown in front of me, I can see the entire system is costing £16800 including 11 panels in a 4.73kw system with micro inverters

My system is a 12 panel 4.56kw system with micro inverters from the same company (quoted 3 years ago) and it cost £15321

Both are powerwall 2s with gateways

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Today i have been living on the wild side... literarly making hay while the sun shines..

Sun was out in force. So used the tumble dryer couple of times. Its now 4pm, and i still have 65% left...
Total generated 21k... total consumed 30... exported about 9.8k...

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Today i have been living on the wild side... literarly making hay while the sun shines..

Sun was out in force. So used the tumble dryer couple of times. Its now 4pm, and i still have 65% left...
Total generated 21k... total consumed 30... exported about 9.8k...

Glad to see it's working fully and to your needs now

The dark days of winter are behind us now. That's where you need your battery and cheap overnight then most.. now it's just do whatever you can in the day

Today I've done a load of washing and tumbled it. Still managed to export 5kw which is enough to cover the standing charge for both the electric and the gas.

In an ideal work I'd average 5kw export a day to cover the standing charges

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Anyone on an export tariff, there is a saving session this evening where Octopus is paying £1.75 per kWh above your normal export at that time, 18:00 to 18:30

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Anyone on an export tariff, there is a saving session this evening where Octopus is paying £1.75 per kWh above your normal export at that time, 18:00 to 18:30
wow.. unfortunately, i cant find a setting in my system that says how i can control export timing. Had generated 9.2K today, but battery is now down to 10%

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
wow.. unfortunately, i cant find a setting in my system that says how i can control export timing. Had generated 9.2K today, but battery is now down to 10%
There will be a forum about your inverter where they will have gone through all this today. I have a Solis and every saving sessions these questions get asked and answered.

Exported about 1 kWh during those 30 minutes, so £1.75ish on top of the £0.27 that the energy export tariff pays during peak hours.
That's about £2, or 11 kWh worth on normal daytime export.

We just got paid £5 for the last 3 30 minutes slots at teh beginning of March.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There will be a forum about your inverter where they will have gone through all this today. I have a Solis and every saving sessions these questions get asked and answered.

Exported about 1 kWh during those 30 minutes, so £1.75ish on top of the £0.27 that the energy export tariff pays during peak hours.
That's about £2, or 11 kWh worth on normal daytime export.

We just got paid £5 for the last 3 30 minutes slots at teh beginning of March.
I tried to join the GroWatt facebook page but they don’t seem to like my face … still waiting

Is there any specific one that you recommend... i see several sites with sub threads for various brands

Last edited:

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't know any forums, I am lucky that the Solis one is active, and teh top contributor even has a youtube channel where he displays how to set settings and things like that.

Have you checked youtube yet? There is NOTHING which you can't learn from youtube (if you find the right video) ;-)

New tariffs are confirmed by Octopus this morning. Everything is down a little, but standing charges are up by 9p for us.
Is gas coming down as well? We only got an electricity prices letter.