Solar panels , would you ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, of course. That's why I have them.

I just wanted to point out that Paul only ever seems to think about the positives and appears to view stuff like solar and EVs through rose-tinted glasses.

But why would you worry about replacing them , once you break even it doesn't matter

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
But why would you worry about replacing them , once you break even it doesn't matter
Of course it matters. You can't say that once you've broken even you can just write the system off. It hasn't paid for itself at that point, because the money it cost has gone.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Of course it matters. You can't say that once you've broken even you can just write the system off. It hasn't paid for itself at that point, because the money it cost has gone.

Once you have broken even the money may have gone, unless you put it aside. It doesn't matter it's paid for itself in savings.

I mean I could easily put the money aside and then the money has returned. But because it's a mortgage it's paying for itself because it was never there

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Once you have broken even the money may have gone, unless you put it aside. It doesn't matter it's paid for itself in savings.

I mean I could easily put the money aside and then the money has returned. But because it's a mortgage it's paying for itself because it was never there
Think I'd better defer to Mark Twain.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think I'd better defer to Mark Twain.

Thing is tho what you need to remember is my usage is high.

So when I save £164 a month in these months , my mortage is £145 a month .. so if I hadnt bought the system costing the £145 a month for 10 years that money would be gone anyways to the energy company.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I don’t get the Mark Twain reference. Any chance of enlightenment?

Best day yet, 15 kWh, 5 times the capacity of the roof. This week might be the 1st we get more money than we pay, but I have a roast planned for tomorrow. I will serve it rare if I have to ;-) Pork loin tartare with boiled vegetables.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t get the Mark Twain reference. Any chance of enlightenment?

Best day yet, 15 kWh, 5 times the capacity of the roof. This week might be the 1st we get more money than we pay, but I have a roast planned for tomorrow. I will serve it rare if I have to ;-) Pork loin tartare with boiled vegetables.

We produced 16kwh today. Exported 6kw

Battery is currently at 96% which is brilliant as at midnight it will top up again

Very cheap day

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
For the record I have had my panels in since 2012 ish. Now exporting at 68.5p per kw. LSAT three months which are the worst. Made £265. It is making over £2,000 per year now. Best thing I have ever invested in.
Personally why new houses are not built with solar, heat pumps, battery’s and car charging points as standard is beyond me.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What gas tariff are you guys on? Mine is on Octopus flex and I think I need to move… (but it is the summer months with lower gas use)

I took a fix last June 7.5p a unit , just wanted to make sure the winter was affordable

Have a look at the tracker, I hear good things. Yes you can get stupid high prices but people are averaging 4p a unit ATM

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I took a fix last June 7.5p a unit , just wanted to make sure the winter was affordable

Have a look at the tracker, I hear good things. Yes you can get stupid high prices but people are averaging 4p a unit ATM
I've been on Octopus Tracker since July. In that time, unit rates have been:
Jul 3.89
Aug 4.27
Sep 4.65
Oct 5.18
Nov 5.14
Dec 4.40
Jan 4.08
Feb 3.83
The rate actually changes every day, so the above are the averages over each month.

Yes, the maximum unit price on Tracker is £1, but as you can see from the above, in practice it's typically about 50-70% of the Ofgem cap price. When I was researching whether to go on Tracker there were about 5 days during the winter of 22/23 when it was higher than the price cap rate. It's never been higher in the time I've been on it.

When the cap comes down tomorrow, I presume the Tracker rates won't, so it'll be less of a saving than it is now (but still under the new cap).

PS. I'm in the South West. Rates in other areas might be higher or lower. London gets much lower prices than the rest of us. I guess all the Ofgem managers probably live there 😂

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Jul 3.89
Aug 4.27
Sep 4.65
Oct 5.18
Nov 5.14
Dec 4.40
Jan 4.08
Feb 3.83
The rate actually changes every day, so the above are the averages over each month.

Yes, the maximum unit price on Tracker is £1, but as you can see from the above, in practice it's typically about 50-70% of the Ofgem cap price. When I was researching whether to go on Tracker there were about 5 days during the winter of 22/23 when it was higher than the price cap rate. It's never been higher in the time I've been on it.

When the cap comes down tomorrow, I presume the Tracker rates won't, so it'll be less of a saving than it is now (but still under the new cap).

PS. I'm in the South West. Rates in other areas might be higher or lower. London gets much lower prices than the rest of us. I guess all the Ofgem managers probably live there 😂

Have to admit I am considering tracker next time as it doesn't seem to have gone high for gas rates over the year

I went for the fix because we had just had the winter with Russia pushing up prices so wasn't sure of the outcome

If energy is coming down and it's less of a risk it might be worth it

I have until July to decide

To be fair worse case I can always go on a fix if tracker becomes stupid high

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Jul 3.89
Aug 4.27
Sep 4.65
Oct 5.18
Nov 5.14
Dec 4.40
Jan 4.08
Feb 3.83

I am on flexible and it is 7.45 for Gas…we used 2700 Kw this month so far, so about £200 - that is heating and cooking

I won’t mind going to tracker or if a new low fixed is coming in. The challenge with tracker is that, our gas cost always fall in summer and then shoot up in winter when we actually need it. We will blame international prices and some dictators for it at that time. Irrespective, it is the hoi polloi that will be screwed over …

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am on flexible and it is 7.45 for Gas…we used 2700 Kw this month so far, so about £200 - that is heating and cooking

I won’t mind going to tracker or if a new low fixed is coming in. The challenge with tracker is that, our gas cost always fall in summer and then shoot up in winter when we actually need it. We will blame international prices and some dictators for it at that time. Irrespective, it is the hoi polloi that will be screwed over …

But as Clive has said even during the winter the costs were lower than my low fix

All that low in the summer aswell builds up a buffer to pay for the winter

Tbh I'm considering it. I build up a nice buffer as it is might aswell gamble on making the buffer bigger