Society Weekend 2016

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi,

I have been put in charge of arranging a golf weekend away for September 2016.

I have a couple of questions:

1) How do most people book these for the best deals? Through one of the dedicated golf break companies or direct with the chosen course?

2) Can I get some recommendations for courses within 50 miles of Southend on Sea, Essex? Suitable for a range of handicaps from 10 – 28 & ages 25 -65? Not too flat, not too hilly. With swimming pool/sauna etc included?

Cheers

Drew

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are often regional, small companies who will put these types of breaks together for you. Usually golfers themselves who have started up small companies putting breaks together. I used to use one in North Yorkshire who were very good. They get good deals with hotels, courses, tee off times etc. You need to look for one locally to you. Do you get a regional golf mag in your club? They are a good place to start.

You can organise everything yourself of course but these companies take the hassle away from you and in my limited experience don't sting you for it.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I have mostly used Golfbreaks.com in the past who have been fine, but for next years I booked direct with a hotel myself that has 2 courses and are geared up for golf breaks. If you do use Golfbreaks (or any other national player in that market such as Your Golf Travel) then just check on any review sites about the course as they can get very busy at weekends.

I'd agree with Tyrion and I'd probably advise against booking a course and accommodation separately yourself, as it's much easier to get some one to do it for you. Most of them only need a 30 quid or so deposit when booking.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Book direct through hotel etc. It's much cheaper. I run my works society and have booked loads of events.

Stoke by Nayland is 49miles away from Southend. 2 good courses and a fun hotel.

Good value too.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I've only booked one trip and it was earlier this year - I used YourGolfTravel and would thoroughly recommend them, got great service.

I had previously tried to book direct with QHotels (as I thought it would be cheaper to go direct rather than through a middle-man). I sent two email which both went unanswered, so I rang and the bloke in the booking call centre was rude and unhelpful. Told him to stick it and, had the location not been perfect, I'd have chosen a different venue entirely. In the end, I stuck with the venue but booked via Your Golf Travel and they were brilliant - and no more expensive than the hotel's advertised prices.

Hope you have fun.

Shep

Craggles89

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Book direct through hotel etc. It's much cheaper. I run my works society and have booked loads of events.

Stoke by Nayland is 49miles away from Southend. 2 good courses and a fun hotel.

Good value too.

I would 2nd this, lovely hotel, and a nice spa area. Didnt get to play the courses but all in all a lovely set up there.
And its just up the A12 just after Colchester if i remember correctly.

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi Drew, have a think about the Essex too, though I notice that you did not want anywhere too flat.
Or Benton Hall?
You could approach these venues directly, on behalf of the society
Or even if you just go for a hotel booking I think that you might be able to play the courses in any case.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Have been on a few over the years and surprisingly Golfbreaks have been cheaper than booking direct every time, they also have an Early Bird Discount, next years trip to Forest Pines in April booked, one night DBB, 2 rounds of golf for £92.75.

D

Deleted Member 1156

It's always worth having a look in the classifieds section in the back of the golf magazines. There are always hotels advertising deals in there and covering pretty much all of the UK.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I started to use golf breaks recently and thought they were pretty decent until all the calls kept coming to see if we'd made a decision. We were going to go with the early bird offer but eventually got in touch with the hotel/golf course directly and they did us a decent deal too.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Have been on a few over the years and surprisingly Golfbreaks have been cheaper than booking direct every time, they also have an Early Bird Discount, next years trip to Forest Pines in April booked, one night DBB, 2 rounds of golf for £92.75.

Good price that for a very decent course. Assume it's not over the weekend though?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Has anyone played/stayed at Wensum Valley Golf course please?

I used to work there. One note of caution is that the owner recently died so not sure how that's impacted things. The other one to try is Barnham Broom, got two decent enough courses.

Try Golf Days UK (golfdaysuk.co.uk) who can also put together a package for you. They do one staying in the centre of the city and playing a couple of different Norwich courses. The company is run by Ben Phillips who is my step brother and is registered on the forum as jchubs or jchubbs.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think Norfolk Shaun from the forum is a member at Barnham Broom so if you want more info on it he's probably the best man to go to.

John Boy Saint

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think Norfolk Shaun from the forum is a member at Barnham Broom so if you want more info on it he's probably the best man to go to.
Our society just did 4 days at Barnham Broom, we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Pretty sure it was booked through Golf Breaks.
There are 2 Courses, Valley and Hilltop for some reason we played 3 days Valley and last day Hill, if we were to go again I think we would ask to alternate for 2 & 2.
Hotel rooms are very nice, food is not too shabby, nice drinking areas. All the staff were very pleasant too.