Social Media has reached its limit

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Saw this and figured that's the line, there's surely now nothing more obscure or inane for folks to talk about online

I guarantee no two adults have ever had this as a topic of conversation in the history of everything, until social media came along and people starting telling us they had toast for brekkie

Has it reached the limit or can you think of something more pointless?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't mind people talking inanities on Twitter, but I really hate when a supposed newspaper takes that discussion and actually attempts to report it as news. What the hell are they doing?? That isn't news!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't mind people talking inanities on Twitter, but I really hate when a supposed newspaper takes that discussion and actually attempts to report it as news. What the hell are they doing?? That isn't news!
They do the same with obituaries now. Doris Day died yesterday and the BBC Breakfast people were reading out twitter posts from 'famous' people saying how sad they were. It is awful, cheap and easy journalism.

Back to the OP, it's an impressive one but I fear there is more to come :eek:. I don't know what but people never fail to scrape lower in the barrel.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've always considered the likes of twitter a waste of life, so why would I bother with it or anyone so wrapped up with it?
Who really wants to know whether someone has shaved their legs that day, or what time little Jonny blew his nose?

D

Deleted member 16999

Saw this and figured that's the line, there's surely now nothing more obscure or inane for folks to talk about online

I guarantee no two adults have ever had this as a topic of conversation in the history of everything, until social media came along and people starting telling us they had toast for brekkie

Has it reached the limit or can you think of something more pointless?
Golf hand tan. ;)

D

Deleted member 18121

................. and people wonder why I can't be bothered with 'social media'!

The only one I still use is Facebook, only because I had friends tell me they wanted me to stay on it for giggles and organising stuff.... But honestly I hate it.

I know some will argue polar opposite to me, but I hate what social media has done to society in that it's redefined what is "important" in people's lives.

I've been close in recent days to binning Facebook again.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fair point, but I don't really regard this forum as social media per se, I was talking more about Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc..
That's why I used the inverted commas, but yeah, fair point.
Twitter and Instagram have certainly their uses but I don't post on there...

I find Facebook very handy for contacting a lot of people at once when creating events and whatnot. When my band was gigging it's very convenient to invite everyone through there, same when I'm arranging drinks for a birthday, or Christmas, etc etc. I think that's the primary positive in favour of Facebook really. Other stuff like discussion groups for golf are good to waste time on, and we have a group for our Sunday footy team where the match day squads are posted, and I post match reports there after the game. The negatives would never be enough to outweigh these for me.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not on any social media - too many idiots, bigots and grief. If i want to keep in contact with people i have their email or telephone number.
I don't see it going anywhere not for the next 5-10 years.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Not on any social media -
Same here.
A couple of other things that concern me -
1. the unknown amount of data that these companies are collecting about 'social media' users
2. the impact on youngsters, especially schoolchildren, who can be very easily damaged by 'cyber bullying'. My kids were subject to unpleasantness at school (we probably all had some bad experiences) but it was before twitter, facebook et all, and we managed a way round it.

D

Deleted member 18588

But on the other hand we have blogs like this who seek out the truth and bring criminals to justice.

https://www.thecanary.co/uk/news/20...llors-received-thousands-of-impossible-votes/

Oh dear! Yet another incidence of lack of research.

Nowhere near as interesting I know but it wasn't a case of evil Tory manipulation but simply an administrative cock-up by Swindon Borough Council who undertook the count.

I think you will find the Labour and Independent candidates were also credited with too many votes.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh dear! Yet another incidence of lack of research.

Nowhere near as interesting I know but it wasn't a case of evil Tory manipulation but simply an administrative cock-up by Swindon Borough Council who undertook the count.

I think you will find the Labour and Independent candidates were also credited with too many votes.

Ah, but that doesn't fit DfT's agenda, therefore doesn't count.