Snapped Shaft

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
On the third tee yesterday, after parring the first two and feeling good I swung my driver and on the follow through the shaft snapped about a third of the way down the grip bit. frightened the heck out of me as I thought I'd broken a bone till I saw a floppy driver shaft dangling from the end of my hand. The weird thing is, I finished the round using my three wood that hit the ball longer and straighter than my driver .

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On the third tee yesterday, after parring the first two and feeling good I swung my driver and on the follow through the shaft snapped about a third of the way down the grip bit. frightened the heck out of me as I thought I'd broken a bone till I saw a floppy driver shaft dangling from the end of my hand. The weird thing is, I finished the round using my three wood that hit the ball longer and straighter than my driver .
It’s the golfing gods telling you that you don’t need a driver!;)

Have you had it in a travel bag recently .?
Sometimes a bang on the head can do this.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Used the wife's driver yesterday. It's the same but has a Callaway soft grip. Didn't like this. Replacement shaft on its way though from e bay 30 notes delivered.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I see from your signature that you were using a ladies flex - maybe it's too much flex for your swing hence it wasn't up to the strain? I don't know much about shafts though.

I broke a shaft early this year in my 7 wood - just on a regular shot that seemed pretty well struck. I didn't realise it at the time but the graphite had already splintered slightly a few days before, I blamed the wife for slamming it in the boot when we went to Top Golf but really I had no idea what caused it. I actually got a splinter in my thumb and hadn't clocked that I got it when putting the clubs back in the bag.

So I hit the ball on the fairway and felt the head flopping around on my following through, it had snapped about 6 inches up from there. I couldn't find a matching 7 wood shaft on Ebay, so I ended up buying a 3 wood shaft, put that in my 5 wood and use the 5 wood shaft in my 7 wood now. I got rid of the Arcos thingies from the grips so ultimately they are each only a quarter of an inch longer than they were before.