Slow cooker...

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've decided to have a bash at slow cooking on my week off. I want to do pulled pork. We have a 2.5l Russell Hobbs slow cooker, but I'm not sure what size joint I should get... Any ideas?

C

c1973

Tesco now do a range of slow cooker 'sachets' for quick n easy recipes btw. Just thought I'd let y'all know. :)

Jabba

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Mine got another airing today.

Leg of lamb (1/2 price at Asda atmo) raised on 3 scrunched up balls of cooking foil to let the fat drip off it. I didn't put any liquid in the cooker. After 6 hours on low heat I added a medium sized bulb of crushed garlic and a couple of tablespoons of Rosemary to the liquor at the bottom of the cooker.

2 more hours in the slow cooker and then 30 mins at gas mark 6 to crisp the outer edge. Absolutely delicious and only 3 ingredients.

Jabba

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Philly169 it's just a case of getting the right size and shape of joint to fit in. Measure the dimensions of your cooker and if needs be, take the tape measure to the supermarket.

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just sorting out the spices for the Korma I'm cooking tomorrow. Looking forward to coming in after the golf to a nice fresh curry. Will be lots left over for later in the week. :thup:

Tend to stick to my ham in coke, Korma and whole chickens. How did the pulled pork go? Fancy adding that to my ever growing repertoire.

Great piece of kit.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have been cooking this bad boy today. It's an Indian Malaysian hybrid recipe of my own and is the bizzo! Looking forward to it. It's about 8.5 on the Richter Scale too.

image.jpg

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had a brisket joint in the slow cooker for 11 hours on Saturday, taste was beautiful but the fat inside hadn't rendered down enough so not sure what went wrong.

you didnt cook it enough quite simply. Receipes are a guide, not sure how big the joint was you had, but every joint you ever cook will be different. Try and get a thermometer spike and get the middle temp next time, needs to be about 200f right in the middle. Could take up to 16hrs to break down the fat in some joints!

I have just knocked up bolognese in the time it took me to make my lunch of spagetti on toast! Kids will be happy tonight!

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
you didnt cook it enough quite simply. Receipes are a guide, not sure how big the joint was you had, but every joint you ever cook will be different.

Wasn't a recipe mate just a home made effort, the gravy from the cooking juices was sublime mind.
The meat itself was fully cooked and lovely but there was a streak of fat through the middle which I'd not spotted when I bought it. I was wondering if I cooked it on a higher heat for less time it would have done the trick. Only one way to find out.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wasn't a recipe mate just a home made effort, the gravy from the cooking juices was sublime mind.
The meat itself was fully cooked and lovely but there was a streak of fat through the middle which I'd not spotted when I bought it. I was wondering if I cooked it on a higher heat for less time it would have done the trick. Only one way to find out.

Don't do it hotter! Do it slower! Treat brisket like a lady!!!

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
With the much flaunted gammon and Coke dish, what do you have with it ?

Either cold, in sandwiches, salad, buffet style etc. Or you could have a thicker slice with egg and chips, colcannon mash etc etc, chop some up and make a chicken and ham pie, pea and ham soup, etc etc.

My Xmas ham will be for cold cuts, snacks and our visitors buffet sort of thing on Boxing Day.