Should I upgrade /change clubs?

Lestat

Visit site
Hi all,

Looking for a little guidance.

Been getting into golf with some friends. I play with 25(?) year old Taylor Made burner steel and I'm ok (probably would be about handicap of 20?). A good 8 iron is going 150, 7 iron is 160... direction is ok in that it goes in the general direction I'm looking. Driver can be 220+(?). Consistency is inconsistent...

Question is, is it worth changing my clubs for something newer? At the range the guy gave me a Wilson DS7 7 iron to try - similar distance but maybe shots that felt clunky still seemed to go ok so it got me thinking. Was just wondering what other people thought about investing or should I just get the burners regripped?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
End of season now .
Might be some bargains knocking around.
You won’t get much for the TMs so regrip while your looking.
I would say the forgiveness of modern clubs will be much better than the Burners.
Try some different ones over winter , there’s no rush imo.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As someone who has changed clubs many times I would say stick with the Burners and use the money saved to buy a modern driver that is where you are going to see the biggest difference.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi all,

Been getting into golf with some friends. I play with 25(?) year old Taylor Made burner steel and I'm ok (probably would be about handicap of 20?). A good 8 iron is going 150, 7 iron is 160... direction is ok in that it goes in the general direction I'm looking. Driver can be 220+(?). Consistency is inconsistent...

Question is, is it worth changing my clubs for something newer? At the range the guy gave me a Wilson DS7 7 iron to try - similar distance but maybe shots that felt clunky still seemed to go ok so it got me thinking. Was just wondering what other people thought about investing or should I just get the burners regripped?
...wish I could hit a 7i 160yds - actually it matters little to me as I can hit a 6i 160yds.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
...wish I could hit a 7i 160yds - actually it matters little to me as I can hit a 6i 160yds.

Then again, there are 6 irons that are 7 irons and 7 irons that are 6 irons?
It's ironic this thread is so recent. Last week I went out and for the fun of it, I left my latest irons behind and took out my set of old blades, Muirfield - Jack Nicklaue MacGregors. They are true blades from the 80s I think.
Always had a soft spot for them
I played the best I've ever hit irons. It was really enjoyable. I had tried something swingwise, which also translated into my woods, so it wasn't the fact that they were blades.
Wat I'm burying to say is that, really, it's the swing and not the club that gets it right or wrong. The clubs just help.

Ref first sentence. The loft on my blade 6 iron is same as the loft on my 785 7 iron.( and so on through the set)

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Reg
Hi all,

Regripping will probably make a decent amount of difference.
I doubt that changing irons wound make that much difference unless you're a particularly odd shape.
If you're like me, it will take 10 years and a decent amount of eBay to realise this...