Shot-gun Starts

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have any Clubs found a way that they have been able to run these during the Covid restrictions ie. smaller numbers, on-line reg on the day, folk going straight to allocated tees.... etc?

D

Deleted member 1147

The players can just walk to their tee though.
Yes they can.

But they also tend to congregate around the clubhouse pre & post round. Which was what they weren't supposed to do during covid times.

Just because Johnson thinks people can use common sense doesn't mean they will!

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From the EG framework: "We do not recommend the use of shotgun starts at this time because of the increased likelihood of creating congregations of people before and after the round" (18 x 4-balls = 72 people)
If you have a Clubhouse that can easily accommodate 12 tables of 6 then this level of use could easily be the norm at the moment each Sat...... certainly close to that at our place. As a recommendation I guess its up to each Club to assess the risks etc.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our shot gun comps allow for

27 4 balls = 108 players. I know from experience we struggle to fit them all in the clubhouse under normal circumstance. It also means groups of 8 standing around on 9 of the tees hence us not trying to have them so far.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
What are the benefits of ‘shotgun starts’ ?
I tend to avoid them as it just seems to be endless congestion, queuing and waiting - at registration, changing rooms, showers, bar, food service etc etc.

wjemather

Visit site
I tend to avoid them as it just seems to be endless congestion, queuing and waiting - at registration, changing rooms, showers, bar, food service etc etc.
In general the purpose is simply to have everyone finish at roughly the same time in order to some kind of gathering afterwards without necessitating people hanging around for hours (or going away and coming back). Obviously it only works if numbers are low enough to avoid course congestion (usually no more than 20-24 x 4-balls on an 18-hole course) and high enough to justify closing the course for 4-5 hours.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My club has always had a shotgun sunday morning comp until lockdown. Always very popular with the membership, everyone finishing roughly the same time so all back to the clubhouse fot a drink, some fun fines dished out by the captain for his chosen charity, and prize giving. Since we havent been able to run them sunday entries have been well down