Short game yips!

Visit site
Help! I'm a 22 handicapper, but I think I have a lot more to offer in my golfing life!:rolleyes: but if I could only play what I consider proper golf rather than complete rubbish from 30yds, fat, thin, daisy cutter, shin breaker, duffer, you name the phrase and I've played them all! I can drive the ball regularly 250 plus but can usually take 4 to 5 shots to get down. I have no confidence with my short game! Any tips, gratefully accepted!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
http://www.v-easy.co.uk/

Before this I could not putt or chip, playing off 17. Got one and a few months later was off 12 and won over £300 in prizes. Came 2nd in club champ net shooting 84,85 round a course over 7k yards!

It just WORKS, 5 mins practice a night + some time on putting greens is all you need. Helps you putt and learn to trust the loft of clubs when chipping.

Achilles

Challenge Tour Pro
www.cirencestergolfclub.co.uk
Yep, a v-easy will definitely help. I'd also advocate a lesson with your local pro. They will be able to quickly see where you can tighten up your technique. Once that's sorted, its a case of practice, practice and more practice. Sounds like you just need a bit more confidence.

james-white

Visit site
there is a very good game idea called par18. you go around a practice green and select 9 different posistions so over the bunker etc. go ropund and use the same club so get out the bunker and putt then go to the next one. write down how many you get on each one. at the end add it all up, the pros normally get very low 20's. then get a note pad and write down your score and the day you did it. only do it once a day and dont stop after hitting the first ball. over time your scores will get lower and if you have wrote them down you can see for your self they have got lower and this wil improve your confidence

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
As has been mentioned before, it looks like you have a confidence issue. You don't know for sure which type of shot to play and how to play them.

For the short 30 yard pitch, try this...

Firstly, narrow your stance to about 3-4in.
ball position in the centre of your stance and your weight mostly on your front foot
hold the club at the bottom of the grip
have a short backswing and a short follow through
always try and take a small divot after the ball
Try this with your wedges and see which one does the job the best.

Something like this

[video=youtube;8rOklcLVF_E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rOklcLVF_E&list=UUFeb2vdftHQESr49G8ZorhQ& index=23&feature=plcp[/video]

Once you get on or close to the green, the above mentioned V-Easy can help if you are having problems there too.

[video=youtube;691FG1bEMQY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=691FG1bEMQY&list=UUFeb2vdftHQESr49G8ZorhQ& index=13&feature=plcp[/video]
HTH

Last edited:

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
30 yards can be a bit of a tweener distance. They're some tips by Harrington on the bbc website on putting, chipping and pitching. This is the link to chipping http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/7507460.stm

I think it's this one where he mentions the sternum and how it tends to work in good and not so good ways of playing those kind of shots, nice and easy to picture, see and recognise.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Funnily enough the longer the chip shot the better I am as I have more confidence in the longer stroke. It is the fiddly ten footers or where I need to get the ball up I struggle on. It is a work in progress and I had a lesson before I did my back but now working on the short game in the venings now the clocks have changed with the V-Easy and expecting to see some good progress