Shanks

Jamie23

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Been having a nightmare with the shanks for around 2 months now

Never had a lesson before but was playing off 18 after mostly learning from YouTube.

Found the easiest method I could play consistently with was the square to square swing (Sam Goulden) but all of a sudden my game has fallen apart.

Have now changed to the more traditional swing and I don't really shank at all but seem to have lost so much distance on all clubs.

Ideally I would like to continue with the square to square swing as it is something I didn't have 10 different swing thoughts with but for some reason when using this method impact now seems to always be towards the heel of the club.

Anyone got any idea why the square to square method would cause heel shots when the more traditional swing isn't causing that problem?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Been having a nightmare with the shanks for around 2 months now

Never had a lesson before but was playing off 18 after mostly learning from YouTube.

Found the easiest method I could play consistently with was the square to square swing (Sam Goulden) but all of a sudden my game has fallen apart.

Have now changed to the more traditional swing and I don't really shank at all but seem to have lost so much distance on all clubs.

Ideally I would like to continue with the square to square swing as it is something I didn't have 10 different swing thoughts with but for some reason when using this method impact now seems to always be towards the heel of the club.

Anyone got any idea why the square to square method would cause heel shots when the more traditional swing isn't causing that problem?

I put up with them for three years matey, get to a pro...pronto.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
In my experience, shanks and other bad shots are usually caused by taking your eye off the ball before you hit it. Also make sure you swing through to a balanced finish without falling forward at all.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Shanks can have several faults causing them, either post a video for accurate advise or get to your pro.

I've spent six months trying to self fix an issue with the wrong diagnosis ... Twenty mins with a local pro and the actual fault although the same end result was completely different cause is now going to take longer to fix

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Shanks can have several faults causing them, either post a video for accurate advise or get to your pro.

I've spent six months trying to self fix an issue with the wrong diagnosis ... Twenty mins with a local pro and the actual fault although the same end result was completely different cause is now going to take longer to fix

So spill the beans! What was the actual fault?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I had them this winter.

After a couple of months hitting a new driver trying to take the cover off the ball I developed a sway off the ball.

Took a video and poster here. Was diagnosed in minutes. I was at home then staying centred and striking the middle of foam balls in no time.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
using the square to square method can encourage you to come down leading with the shoulders and cut across the ball out to in. This can encourage shanks as the hozel gets pulled into the ball. It can also make you get your head moving forward of the ball in the downswing which worsens the out to in path.

Using a square to square swing you still need to get the club coming down on an inside path.

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Mine was diagnosed as a slight flying left (left handed) elbow causing disconnection. It allowed the clubs hosel to go towards the ball.
Try tucking your rear elbow in tight to the body on the down swing, it worked for me