Shanking chip shots

rapper

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just played today and hit at least 8 chip shots that flew off to the right ,shank? im usually not bad with chipping with an eight iron it seems that i have hit the ball neasr the hosel...what am i doing wrong please?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
It's all in the set up... you have to be bent forward adequately (good spine angle) and have your hands a GOOD 5 inches away from your thighs so your hands have some space to swing into... if your hands are too close to your thighs (cramped) then you they tend to move away from you on the downswing and you shank it.

D

Deleted Member 1156

A good chipping tip around the green is just to rock your shoulders back and forward, take all other moving parts out of the equation.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
aaargh!!!! The s***k word - as bad in type as spoken - please desist. Call it a 'lucy locket', a 'j arthur rank' whatever - just pleeeeeeeze - don't mention that word.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Use anything you want really....depending on the type of flight you want from the shot.

This for me.

I use the club I think will give me the result I'm looking for. Last night I played a 4 iron from the fringe as the lie was a little, OK, a lot un even. I wanted to lift it over this section and get the shot behaving like a putt ASAP.

Knocked it to 3ft and made par so............

Don't limit yourself, use what you think is required.