Shaft question?

A

Alex1975

Hi all,

I use regular shafts as I believe my swing speed is a little too slow for stiff (ill find out later in the month). I have 2x TM Burner 08 hybrids and as I recall they both say 60 on them. The other day I got the TM Burner 08 3 wood and it says 46 on the shaft. What does this number mean? I thought it was the weight but surly the hybrid shafts would weigh less? All are regular flex. They all feel right so there is no problem, just interested.

Thanks

Alex

A

Alex1975

it is the weight in grams, hybrids will tend to be heavier around 60-90grams

drivers are normally 45-75grams

steel irons are 100+grams

thanks so much, do you know why the bigger the club the lighter they are? with the hybirds are they trying to make it more iron like?

Also why do they tell us, are some weights better for lower and higher handicapers?

thanks again

Al

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
They are trying to maintain a certain swing weight through the set of clubs. This has nothing to do with the actual weight, but to do with how heavy it feels to swing. As clubs get shorter, the heads get heavier to maintain the swing weight. For graphite shafts, they increase the weight of the shaft too.

This is also why graphite shafted irons have longer shafts than steel shafted irons. It is to maintain swing weight.