Shaft differences with the same head?

mefromhere

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Evening all,

I was just wondering if any of you would be able to supply me with some info on this subject. I currently have a Cobra Zl driver with the stock shaft in "Stiff". Today I tried out a mates "stiff" driver and instantly the shaft felt much stiffer and the resulting shots were at least 20 yards further.

The only issue I have was that the head of the current driver really suits my eye and of all those tried when buying it, was the only one I felt confidence in.

So my question I believe is this ... Will I be able to get the improvement I am after by keeping the same head and taking it for a shaft fitting or do both need to change to make a difference?

Thanks in advance for any answers !!!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Is your mate's Driver one where the shaft can be replaced?

If so, you might be able to borrow the shaft, get its frequency checked and get a similar one put into you ZL. There is no standard for 'Stiff' across shafts o manufacturers!

Otherwise it's a bit of guesswork - unless you have a proper fitting.

I can understand the attraction of the ZL. Nice looking head - and a better sound than previous Cobras!

What was your mate's Driver - and shaft?

mefromhere

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I believe it was the stock Aldila that came with the 907 D1 so unfortunately not able to remove it. (Didn't really think about it until I got home so not sure it was that shaft. It was grey if that helps anybody identify it before I get to speak to him to ask him!!)

Hypothetical question but if I took that shaft straight out of his driver and put it into mine would the ball flight, distance etc be the same? (or similar enough not to make a real difference)

You're right about the ZL too, nice "ting" as it comes off the face rather than the thud of older versions!

Last edited:

lyden

Head Pro
Visit site
Generally speaking a stiffer shaft would mean a loss of distance with improved accuracy. Golf is full of these stories but there are too many variables to consider to say its definitely the shaft. The only way to truely know is to spend time on a launch monitor with both clubs.

mefromhere

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Generally speaking, would the same shaft put into a variety of different heads give out similar if not the same results with identical swings?

lyden

Head Pro
Visit site
Certainly not there are differences between the Titleist 913 D2 & D3 both of which ive used, so i would imagine there would be a huge difference between manufacturers. Im not sayin your shaft isnt important i switched to an aftermarket x-stiff but if i was hitting a different club and it went 20 yards further id be buying the new club not changing the shaft. Although the only accurate way to tell is with a launch monitor and a robot swing.

Last edited: