Severe headaches after golf

chris3081

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I seem to get excruciatingly painful headaches that build towards the end of a round. They then ruin my afternoon after.They only go with really strong painkillers and don't have the migraine nausea attached. I usually drink 1 bottle of water per round and a snack after 9 holes. I play Sundays between 8-9am getting up at same time as work. It happens carrying or pushing my trolley. Never happens after lunch rounds?

Anyone else suffer from this or found ways to beat it. Happens roughly every other round and is really annoying

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I get them

Only if i have not eaten properly before the round.

I am not really a breakfast type person and i think the headaches correspond (for me) with lack of grub.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I seem to get excruciatingly painful headaches that build towards the end of a round. They then ruin my afternoon after.They only go with really strong painkillers and don't have the migraine nausea attached. I usually drink 1 bottle of water per round and a snack after 9 holes. I play Sundays between 8-9am getting up at same time as work. It happens carrying or pushing my trolley. Never happens after lunch rounds?
Do you typically drink a lot of coffee during the morning? If when you play Sunday mornings you miss out on your usual coffee hit, caffeine withdrawal could be a possibility.

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
Its you're body telling you that's something is missing. Do you get them any other times at all?
I would recommend you eat a good breakfast before you go out and get a couple of Oatey type bars/banana's and every hole or two - take a bite and this should keep you energy levels up. Also ensure you've got at 2 bottles of water or 1 bottle of water and 1 sugary type drink to kind hydrated.
Also might be an idea to get your blood sugar levels checked out at dr's

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I do get them sometimes as well, but for me they normally lead to a full fledged migraine attack. I suspect that they are caused by strain in my neck/upper spine, but I am not sure. I do take care to eat and drink enough during the round, so I don't think they are caused by dehydration or low blood sugar.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not a doctor, but I'm afraid are you arent going to get a correct answer here. Sadly I would suggest making an appointment and go see the quack. Could be blood pressure related for example.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can almost guarantee you having one this time next week. You'll have the words, hook and friggin puttin etched in your skull. I do like a good moan...

Sorry in advance :D

chris3081

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The poor play induced ones don't count! Cannot wait for next week. We will have a great time. Key is to ignore the score until the bar and stare in wonder at the beauty of the course!

I can almost guarantee you having one this time next week. You'll have the words, hook and friggin puttin etched in your skull. I do like a good moan...

Sorry in advance :D

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I don't get them after golf but Missis T does when I get home. Gonna tell her to drink more.
Read a few years back in golf monthly about the importance of eating and drinking during a round, thought it was a bit boring. But a couple of months later I was hanging outta me ass during a blisteringly hot round. I read the piece again and always make sure there summat in me bag.
Trouble is as soon as I have had a drink, one hole later it's time to feed the daffodils.

puttmore89

Hacker
Visit site
Hi Chris,

Do you wear glasses? Or if not prescription do you wear sunglasses on the course? This happened to me every round I played and in the end it turned out it was the strain I was putting on my eyes. Wearing sunglasses prescription or not makes all the difference for me now.

chris3081

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Did for many years, but had them lasered. Its not so much on sunny days. Grey all winter and I still get them. I think water, food and coffee should be the next test

Hi Chris,

Do you wear glasses? Or if not prescription do you wear sunglasses on the course? This happened to me every round I played and in the end it turned out it was the strain I was putting on my eyes. Wearing sunglasses prescription or not makes all the difference for me now.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would simply make an appointment and see a doctor. It could be any host of things, especially if you are drinking and eating during a round. I'm sure they will get to the bottom of it (probably via a blood test)

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I always get a bad headache after a round with Smiffy.:eek:

One of the reasons I gave up playing was getting migraines after a round. Found it was to do with not eating at the right time. Tee off at 11.00, and would not get lunch until gone 3.00 when it would be too late. Am careful with my tee off times now, and also having a halfway hut helps solve the problem. Now just need to work out how to play 36 holes without a migraine before Sunningdale.:mmm: