Serious error in Channel 5 programme

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Glaring error in "All Creatures Great & Small" the other night. Needle match (cricket) between two local teams. No 10 batsman on James' team retires hurt & James comes in at no. 11 to bat out last 3 balls to secure a draw. He's out last ball & the opposition are declared winners. WRONG - they're only 9 wickets down, its a draw! Even if he was out with one or two balls to go the retired hurt batsman could have comer back in. does anyone else remember colin Cowdrey batting against Wes Hall with his arm in plaster?

Think I'll write in.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was confused as to why it would have been a draw if he'd stayed in as they were nowhere near the oppositions score?! Test match rules for a one dayer??

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
If he retired hurt, would he have really have been fit to return three balls later?

Asking for a friend……..

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Sunday afternoon "timed" rules... (not limited overs)... remember, the other team declared. James was bowled out with the final ball, so injured man was not required to come back out.

So absolutely correct in it being a draw as the team batting second were not bowled out.

edit… oooooops… to correct the typo mess up!

Last edited:

Grizzly

Visit site
Glaring error in "All Creatures Great & Small" the other night. Needle match (cricket) between two local teams. No 10 batsman on James' team retires hurt & James comes in at no. 11 to bat out last 3 balls to secure a draw. He's out last ball & the opposition are declared winners. WRONG - they're only 9 wickets down, its a draw! Even if he was out with one or two balls to go the retired hurt batsman could have comer back in. does anyone else remember colin Cowdrey batting against Wes Hall with his arm in plaster?

Think I'll write in.

Not their first cricket related error!

Couple of weeks ago they had characters going to London for the Oval Test, and others listening on the wireless, as Hutton and Leyland flayed the Aussies.

Thing was, that test took place in August of 38. And in the Yorkshire scenes, the daffodils were only just coming out!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Back in the day I read the books the watched and loved the original series, but though I’ve given the revamp a go I haven’t really taken to it…though I intend to give it a go.

GF23

Visit site

Think I'll write in.
Bill, Not to mention the Subbuteo set that was several years too new. In those days the figures were card. But, hey it is as good as the first series.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
... does anyone else remember colin Cowdrey batting against Wes Hall with his arm in plaster?

Yep, last man in with a broken arm and no helmet.
Wouldn't have bothered the likes of Brian Close, either.
To think that these days batsmen are kitted up like knights.

BTW the name James Herriot was based on a Scottish goalkeeper with the same name.
Darrowby was Thirsk, so he was never based in the Dales.