Seniors open competition, options ?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
My club are trying something a bit different this year with our Seniors Open comp.
Giving players 70 and over the option of playing the comp over the first 15 holes only, missing out our last 3 holes.
2 separate comps i would imagine.
BTW our 16th hole does has a wee bit of a slope roughly 45 * . :D

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
The oldies usually miss the last few at Lilleybrook (near Cheltenham) as its a tough walk.

Listening to the Seniors at our place, the requirements for a Senior Open are, world class course, excellent meal afterwards and they expect to not pay more than £3.50 for it! :D :mmm:

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good idea, we have a weekly 9 hole comp for the older ladies who cant do 18 holes, one said its a shame we cant do 12 or 15 holes.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good idea, we have a weekly 9 hole comp for the older ladies who cant do 18 holes, one said its a shame we cant do 12 or 15 holes.

We also have recently started a monthly midweek 9 hole comp that's open to all age groups. It's played over holes 1 to 7 then 17 and 18.
The holes were re-accessed and new stroke indexes applied and different score cards printed, played off half handicaps.
I think it's also a qualifier to go forward to a play off at some other course.

Last edited:

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We have regular 9 hole medals, 1-4 and then 14-18, not an easy loop but it seems popular. There is another group in the winter that plays a loop of 14 holes missing out the 3 par5s and a par 3 in a non-qualifier format.