Self Analysis

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've comented on a few threads recently about a pull that has crept into my game.

I've not been to worried as it wasn't every shot, just now and again.

I played in the monthly medal (Finished second :whoo: ) and got a .3 cut, however all the way around I felt like I was fighting my swing.

I went for a casual 9 last night after work and pulled, pretty much, 90+% of my shots. Even wedges into greens were more left than usual.

Everything pretty much low and left

Here's where the self analysis comes in.

I'm sure I've krept into the habit of starting the downswing with the shoulders, causing the out to in and that my lead shoulder (left) is lowering and turning back behind me, instead of being square and moving up at impact.

As an example:

cwSL.png

If you consider the yellow line as correct, I think my shoulders are more along the red line turning down an open.

I also think I'm being lazy with my hip movement at the begining and through the swing which is contributing to the clubs out to in path (lack of rotation and forward movement).

Sound plausable?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Gareth, the red line would be very close to Watsons shoulder line and he does ok.

Just one comment from me as a hacker with no coaching/teaching skills, just an opinion.........have you looked at your spine angle on the backswing? is it still retained (same as at address) or has it straightened? this can sometimes lead to an over the top downswing....just a thought

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Gareth, the red line would be very close to Watsons shoulder line and he does ok.

Just one comment from me as a hacker with no coaching/teaching skills, just an opinion.........have you looked at your spine angle on the backswing? is it still retained (same as at address) or has it straightened? this can sometimes lead to an over the top downswing....just a thought

All comments welcome DV :thup:

I can't say I've noticed that to be honest.

The isuue, I feel, isn't just about the shoulder level, more of there line at impact (Open instead of sqaure). I also feel that moving laterally (forward) would keep me swinging out to the ball, rather than in. I think the shoulder level and the hips are connected and form different parts of the same problem.

I can feel my shoulders opening now at the start of the downswing , I never could before.

Last edited:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
All comments welcome DV :thup:

I can't say I've noticed that to be honest.

The issue, I feel, isn't just about the shoulder level, more of there line at impact (Open instead of sqaure). I also feel that moving the hips laterally (forward into impact) would keep me swinging out to the ball, rather than in. I think the shoulder level and the hips are connected and form different parts of the same problem I.E If I fix one, the other will follw (?).

I can feel my shoulders opening now at the start of the downswing , I never could before.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I hear this quit a lot...I start the downswing with the shoulders.
It's a very difficult move
However, what I see more often is the shoulders turn WITH the hips which throws the club outside the line.
If you can feel the hips turning to initiate the downswing but feel the shoulders resisting the hip turn, you wont get the club outside.

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site
I used to struggle with this Gareth and did pretty much as Bob advises... I tried to feel that i was leaving my back facing the target for as long as possible.. fire the hips then the shoulders will go natuarally dropping the club in the so called 'slot'

Developed a nice draw with this.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I hear this quit a lot...I start the downswing with the shoulders.
It's a very difficult move
However, what I see more often is the shoulders turn WITH the hips which throws the club outside the line.
If you can feel the hips turning to initiate the downswing but feel the shoulders resisting the hip turn, you wont get the club outside.

You know Bob, that sounds, pretty much, bang on.

A tip I was given by a lad at our track (plays off 4.... And no it's not Patrick57 :mad: )after my shambles last night was, I assume as a feeling, was to imagine in the down swing my back being againt a wall making it impossible to turn my shoulders left until just after impact?

Don't know how much water that theory holds though?

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site
Also have a look on the Titleist performance institue website and
have a look at the test for 'Hip disassociation'

This will measure your flexibility and ability to turn your upper body independantly from your lower. It will give you some stretching exercises to improve it... If needed.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
As a feeling you might end up overdoing that and blocking everything.
You can only see what works for you.
Have a look on you tube at the top pros and see where their hips are at impact in relation to their shoulders

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Also have a look on the Titleist performance institue website and
have a look at the test for 'Hip disassociation'

This will measure your flexibility and ability to turn your upper body independantly from your lower. It will give you some stretching exercises to improve it... If needed.

I'll have a look at that JE.. Thanks :thup:

As a feeling you might end up overdoing that and blocking everything.
You can only see what works for you.
Have a look on you tube at the top pros and see where their hips are at impact in relation to their shoulders

Very true Bob.

I never used to suffer with this, and looking back at some older swing vids I seem to be at the right poistion at impact (High left shoulder, hips rotating towards target).

To be honest I've probably got a little lazy and need a kick up the back side. Best to go over the basics and, as you say, find something that works for me :thup:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The pulll might also be a result of the weight transfer in S&T.
As the weight starts favouring the front foot and gradually moves even further forward throughout the backswing and downswing, it's very easy to get steeper into impact and therefore out to in unless of course you tilt your hips to flatten out the angle of attack. Easy Peasy ;)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
The pulll might also be a result of the weight transfer in S&T.
As the weight starts favouring the front foot and gradually moves even further forward throughout the backswing and downswing, it's very easy to get steeper into impact and therefore out to in unless of course you tilt your hips to flatten out the angle of attack. Easy Peasy ;)

Now don't go putting more thoughts into my head :rofl:

In all seriousness I'm pretty sure it's as you said Bob, with my shoulder not resisting my hip turn.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The problem with Pulls and Pushes they can be caused by so many things, a video is the best way to start analysing.

The best general drill I know for pulls/pushes is to let the club head then shaft butt-end trace the extended ball to target line in the backswing and the opposite in the downswing.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I see the problem of starting a backswing with the shoulders as being with the first move.

My fault was my first move was a slight push out with my hands, this caused an out to in. I focussed on not doing that and the swing started with my hips first almost naturally.

May not work for you but it sure does fix my swing when I start pulling them!