Seems very quiet tonight-what waterproofs do you rate?

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Since the weather is dire this weekend, yet again. Lets get some real users opinions on wet weather gear.

Also do you buy into this layer concept, which has been around a long time in the mountainering, yachting and skiing circles?

What's rubbish and what's worth spending money on, and so on.

It's all very well a mag testing kit for one or two rounds, but what's it like after one or two years?

Over to you!

ball_basher

Assistant Pro
Visit site
ping do very good waterproof tops but your gonna pay about £100 , value for money though , you get what you pay for , if you have cheap irons the ain't gonna do the proper job . and the same goes for this , although i have some postman's waterproof trousers and i wouldn't swap them for anything and cost me nothing ...

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Since the weather is dire this weekend, yet again. Lets get some real users opinions on wet weather gear.

Also do you buy into this layer concept, which has been around a long time in the mountainering, yachting and skiing circles?

What's rubbish and what's worth spending money on, and so on.

It's all very well a mag testing kit for one or two rounds, but what's it like after one or two years?

Over to you!

Layering - yes, I believe it. Basic rule- nothing cotton. Base layer, thermal layer(if needed) then wind/waterproof layer- sorted.

Downside - as with most things - price....and the fact that unless it's fairly cold Gore tex type membranes don't seem to work too well as they rely on temp. differencials to wick away humid moisture. Better than clammy wet clothes after a few steep uphill holes though.

One or two rounds perfectly sufficient to test 'wicking' properties. Long term testing would only prove build quality.

it's never going to be easy to make a waterproof layer which packs down small, weighs little and offers the freedom of movement required by golfers with out chucking some pretty serious money at it.

Ive got a really hardcore Lowe Alpine tech outer layer here which I needed in my old job - great in a force 10 gale, almost guaranteed to keep you dry in the mother of all downpours but blinkin' useless on the golf course as it's the size of a pillow folded away and doesn't allow you to move freely enough:(

Ultimate wet weather gear? - if it's flooding down, the gloves and shafts are wet , it's closed in for the day and you've got 14 holes ahead of you? - the showers followed by the club bar ;)

mick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i wear ping waterproofs,good quality light weight but i'm not to fond of the jacket,with the sleeves attached it hinders my swing,not quite sure why it just seems tighten my shoulders/arms up.without the arms it's spot on but if i'm wearing a jumper the arms on that get soaked.havent got a bad thing to say about the trousers light,plenty of room and hardly any noise when swing the club.i do wear baselayers made by skins i havent noticed much difference when wearing them to be honest,they do wick sweat away from the skin,but at £50 each for the top and tights i would have rather have spent the money on lessons or towards a new driver.

Medal Winner
Visit site
hello all, i have a sunderland gt paclite gore-tex suit
Its had a good test this winter and ive not had eny
rain get in eney were.My other suit was a sunderland allso
i had it for about 8 years and that didnt leek but was looking a bit shabby thats why i replaced it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have a proquip ultra lite rain suit I picked up online for £85 for boththe jacket and top. Absolute bargain and after several years of winter golf has not shown any signs of wear and as good as the day I got it out the wrapper.

I must admit I do feel the cold especially if it is windy so normally go for lots of layers. I was goign for a Nike climate control polo jumper, with a cotton polo on top and a woollen jumper. Not too bulky but prett tried and tested. However I've just bought an Under Armour body control fleece base layer. Will be giving that its inaugaral try out tomorrow

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I normally go for the collered tee / Polo, light wooley jumper (I hate poly clothes) Then either a Proquip or Stuburt Coat. Stubert is not as good as the Proquip bit its lighter so I use it in the summer.
I have the Stubert trousers, the zip broke and when I changed them I lifted the wrong size so. Needless to say I went out one day and realised my mistake too late.

I bought Gore tex Nike storm fit trousers and I must say they are the mutts nutts. Light confie and quite. They are easy to get on in a rush and I love em - especially as I bought them for £50 not the £180 rrp.

Only problem is the pockets dont close and when its really chucking down thay can leak through here.

Both the jackets have zip off arms- these tend to be the weak spot. I think capillary action lets the water through and you can end up with wet arms some days.

OldWindy

Q-School Graduate
www.fronhaul-aberdovey.co.uk
I bought a ProQuip Light suit in 1995 and it still keeps the wind and rain out. The only thing I would criticize is that it balloons a bit in the wind and perhaps there are designs which counter this effect.

(If I'm honest, I would prefer to get a replacement sometime at the end of summer, possibly by Galvin Green; just don't feel the need at the mo'.)

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I bought a ProQuip Light suit in 1995 and it still keeps the wind and rain out. The only thing I would criticize is that it balloons a bit in the wind and perhaps there are designs which counter this effect.

(If I'm honest, I would prefer to get a replacement sometime at the end of summer, possibly by Galvin Green; just don't feel the need at the mo'.)

I am only getting Gore tex next time- Have a pair of Gore tex shoes and they are starting to fall apart but they are still waterproof, plus I love the Nike's.
I honestly think if you play every week no matter what the weather than a proper Gore-tex suit is worth it. (mabey the Galvins)

There is nowt worse thn 4 hours of being cold and wet.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have Nike Pak-Lite Goretex troosers and they are really good but in the winter you need to wear thermals under them. I also have the FootJoy jacket that is a bit snug but that stops it wafting in the breeze.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I should have joined in the "golf addict" thread regarding waterproofs. Haven't yet come across anything that keeps out the rain to my satisfaction. Just spent £150 on a jacket but only been out in moist rather than wet conditions - so can't tell if I've wasted my money again. On the plus side, it's extremely leery, so my playing partners will always be able to find me if i get lost in the woods. Kit-wise, waterproofs are my holy grail.

From my mountaineering days, layering definitely works. Doesn't especially matter what, as long as its several loose layers. Its the air trapped in the layers that gives the insulation. (Same principle as a wetsuit with water)

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
ProQuip jacket, so far it's not let me down, though I think their zips could be better.
Tog24 trousers, warm, dry, only drawback is that they are a bit bulky, advantage - not being golf gear they were a lot cheaper (Mountain Warehouse - £24)
'technical' base layer - not Canterbury (Cold Armour) so £20 (for two).

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a pair of mountain warehouse gortex pants RRP£60 i paid £20. Just were thermals under them and cant fault em(apart from no pockets) Also have last years Stubert water proof half zip jacket. Top notch for £39 quid. If you look n the right places you dont have to spend a fortune.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Read my review (Hywel Lloyd) in this months mag for my review and advice, its an ace jacket, and the trousers I have bought to go with it are also wicked.

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
I have a proquip ultra lite rain suit I picked up online for £85 for boththe jacket and top. Absolute bargain and after several years of winter golf has not shown any signs of wear and as good as the day I got it out the wrapper
Also had the Ultralite for a number of years, had heavy wear in some awful days at Castletown Iom. Still going strong, and very very light.

Have to say though, I will never buy a waterproof suit again with sleeves. If you only play summer golf (which i do now that I play in England), then a polo shirt and sleeveless waterproof top is the ideal combo.