Scotland's Greatest Album

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not just one for we Scots.......anyone been watching the programme they're running on STV at the moment?

http://programmes.stv.tv/scotlands-greatest-album/

They're piecing together an album from the 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s of the greatest album by Scots bands.

Anyone any thoughts on what should be included or omitted?

I'm more than slightly irked by the inclusion of the bloody Bluebells rather than the godlike geniuses that were Altered Images. Then again that might be something to do with my dislike for band member, Lawrence Donegan (who's now become the only golf writer I know who dislikes golfers) whereas I had (still have) a major crush on Clare Grogan. "Don't talk to me about love" is still one of my favourite songs of all time or " I could be Happy" particularly the Martin Rushent remix (see iTunes)

What would be on your list?

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
If we are counting Primal Scream as a Scottish band then surely Screamadelica has to be up there.
Other deserving candidates (IMHO) are:

Idlewild - The remote part
Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy
Belle and Sebastian - The life pursuit or Dear Catastrophe Waitress

and possibly a slot for Teenage Fanclub's Songs from northern Britain

AyrHead

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Quite enjoyed the programme but if its Scotlands greatest album why are they just concentrating on singles. Did find it strange the selection of some one hit wonders amongst them. Anyway the Mighty Simple Minds for me - Album would have to be New Gold Dream and song with the same title - quite happy they selected Waterfront form the Sparkle in the Rain album however.

Cannot believe The Waterboys were not in this - love them or loath them - Mike Scott was/is (genius)

ps "FREE THE GOSWICK 8"

MizunoGreyhound

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Totally agree with Simple Minds; what a voice Jim Kerr has got.
One of the first records (remember those?) I bought was Masquerade by The Skids.
Anyone for The Proclaimers...?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
for me anything from,

Primal Scream
The Soup Dragons
Orange Juice
The Bodines
The Pastels
BMX Bandits
The Shop Assistants
The Jesus and Mary Chain
Cocteau Twins

and Camera Obscura and too many others to remember.

AyrHead

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It was just the 80's last night - 90's and noughties next two weeks.

90's for me would be Primal Scream

Noughties - Have to agree with Biffy Clyro - good Ayrshire lads. (even although 2 are from Killie - lead singer and ultimate talent in the group obviously the one from Ayr)

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's a slightly misleading title.

What they're actually doing is allowing the public to pick 3 singles from each of those 4 decades to cobble together a compilation album of 12 songs. There was far too much choice from the eighties last night.

If it were simply an entire album from a Scots band then I agree that "The Crossing" would be right up there....or one of my favourites "A Walk Across the Rooftops" by the Blue Nile.

AyrHead

Assistant Pro
Visit site
didnt know the waterboys were Scottish! 'The whole of the Moon' gonna be humming that all day now

They have had band members from all over the place but the founder and lead singer of the band is a Scot, if Primal Scream are classed as Scottish for the same reason then i would say the Waterboys are also.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sunshine on Leith by The Proclaimers.

That was included in one to the 15 to choose from last night. I'm not a Hibs fan either but when the crowd sung it at the CIS Cup win it made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. What a beautiful song.

Here's the YouTube footage. Amazing that so many fans should sing such an emotional song at a fitba game, when you think about it. Watch it from about 1m 10secs in and it makes you proud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPXCNwBu_t8&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL3CB4C60E280EFDDA

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
They have had band members from all over the place but the founder and lead singer of the band is a Scot, if Primal Scream are classed as Scottish for the same reason then i would say the Waterboys are also.

Prob now only Bobby is Scottish, but when they started in the early eighties all of Primal Scream from Glasgow.

BramallMac

Club Champion
www.bramallparkgolfclub.co.uk
Speaking as a Killie fan, unfortunately my exile South came before Biffy Clyro reached stardom. However, not even close for me - the best Scottish album of all time is You Can't Hide Your Love Forever by the Juice. Heartbreaking