Scotland Fife trip advice sought

Klimski

Visit site
Thanks. I think I've narrowed the courses down pretty much. I had read that Kirkcaldy wasn't that great of a place to get accomodation. Was looking at East Neuk (which has a hilarious double meaning in my own language) or Aberdour area, or somewhere a bit more inland even. It's all up in the air still. To be honest as golf season winds down here due to extreme wet weather, the golf trip is great fun to ponder!

Klimski

Visit site
Okay, so here's the new and improved plan based on all of your advice and insights:

We will be based out of Anstruther or thereabouts. I have adapted my plans to accomodate for the fact that the private clubs that I fancy playing won't be available in the weekend. Also one of our party really wants to see at least a little of Edinburgh.

Dates: middle of May 2022:

Friday:
Fly in early to Edinburgh airport (8:30)
Drive up to Anstruther via Kinghorn/Aberdour/Burntisland (= play 18 holes on the way) - I like Kinghorn the most, as I love the combination of history (1812!), municipal golf and quirkiness.
Optional: play Anstruther 9 holes Twilight round matchplay
Saturday:
Play the Eden Course + do the 'St Andrews' thing (sightseeing, museum, pub, Himalayas)
Sunday:
Transit to Edinburgh in the morning, play Braid Hills (9 or 18 holes, time permitting) Sunday roast @Golf Tavern -> fly home: 16:00 @Airport

Any thoughts? And thanks again all of you who posted advice. Great community here!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sounds good. Accommodation wise look at The Bank which is a real ale pub and close to Anstruther Golf Club or The Waterfront. They are part of the same group and whilst I have stayed in both I prefer The Bank. There is a famous fish and chip shop in Anstruther, be prepared to queue . We found the one between the 2 accommodation suggestions equally as good, cheaper and no queuing!

Think you will have a full schedule, especially on Sunday and if you could play somewhere in Fife Sunday mid morning you could save a little time as you are coming back on yourself.

John Evans 9

Visit site
Sorry to strike a bum note but I cannot believe some of the recommendations which have been made here. Let’s be realistic. 30+ handicappers who only play once a year will not be tolerated at any members clubs. But I would not worry too much about the green fees - the cost of golf balls will likely be a greater expense. My recommendation is to stay in St Andrews and enjoy the ambience and the municipal courses or even the driving ranges. It will still be a great weekend.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sorry to strike a bum note but I cannot believe some of the recommendations which have been made here. Let’s be realistic. 30+ handicappers who only play once a year will not be tolerated at any members clubs. But I would not worry too much about the green fees - the cost of golf balls will likely be a greater expense. My recommendation is to stay in St Andrews and enjoy the ambience and the municipal courses or even the driving ranges. It will still be a great weekend.
They quote budget is important which most weekends rules our St Andrews!

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There are plenty of 30+ handicappers who are club members. Providing peoples etiquette and speed of play is reasonable and they are not complete beginners who cannot get the ball off the tee I don't think most clubs I have visited would be concerned.

John Evans 9

Visit site
I think the “play once a year” is the problem. I wouldn’t like to be following them. I play with 30+ handicappers who play several times a week and that is fine but ……once a year ! It’s a joke.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
JE 9. You are going off track. The original person used to play off 12 and I think it is fair to accept he knows what he wants and he is organising a Group of guys for a weekend away. Whether they play off +6 or 54 it is not for other people to decide. He appreciated the help offered.

John Evans 9

Visit site
Yes, I accept I am out of sync with all the other advice given. But you know that members clubs have certain requirements of visitors before allowing them onto the course , and for good reason. I’m afraid that the group as described would not meet those requirements and should set their expectations accordingly. It’s just my opinion of course and I’m often wrong ! I am not being unkind, just practical.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You’re overlooking that some of the people in this thread know the clubs in question well enough to say it won’t be a problem and visitors of all abilities are made welcome.

Klimski

Visit site
I'm enjoying this new twist in the conversation. I want to stress that I am fully taking the ability of my flight mates into account. Even those that hardly play have skillsets that suprise me. They can all get the ball off the tee - and we will be playing Scotch Scramble (alternate shot) on the Eden Course to keep it fun. It's one reason that I have decided to play only on what can be considered truly public courses: Kinghorn, Eden, Braids Hill (Anstruther is an evening option, probably only me and 1 other will be playing there). And, we will definitely not be ruining the day for others, slow play is a pet peeve of us all. Don't think you'll find that ball? - Drop a new one on the edge of the fairway and keep it moving forwards.

Last edited:

John Evans 9

Visit site
I'm enjoying this new twist in the conversation. I want to stress that I am fully taking the ability of my flight mates into account. Even those that hardly play have skillsets that suprise me. They can all get the ball off the tee - and we will be playing Scotch Scramble (alternate shot) on the Eden Course to keep it fun. It's one reason that I have decided to play only on what can be considered truly public courses: Kinghorn, Eden, Braids Hill (Anstruther is an evening option, probably only me and 1 other will be playing there). And, we will definitely not be ruining the day for others, slow play is a pet peeve of us all. Don't think you'll find that ball? - Drop a new one on the edge of the fairway and keep it moving forwards.
Well said !

Klimski

Visit site
Okay, as you all are no doubt on tenderhooks to hear our final itinerary, here it is. Remember we're a group of 22, 32, 32, 36 handicappers:

Friday afternoon: Kinghorn
Saterday: Himalayas, golf museum, heavy real ale lunch, 15:00 Eden Course (probably Scottish Scramble or similar)
Sunday: Morning 9 holes at Anstruther

There's room for more golf, and some of us might squeeze some more in somewhere but overall: keep it simple but interesting and FUN!
Thanks for all the advice and words of wisdom. Will post a short trip report after we get back.

Klimski

Visit site
I guess that's the same as when I first heard the expression 'going Dutch' (being Dutch myself).

So, apparently it's a type of best ball: everyone hits from the tee, then using the best ball, from the second shot onwards it's alternate shot. It's a quick way of playing 18 holes either as 2 competing pairs in a foursome, or as a foursome (this is rare). I've seen it called different things, and I've also read alternative ways of playing a Scotch scramble...

But that's the plan at least..

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I enjoyed Kinghorn. You start off by going uphill, then a bit further uphill, uphill a bit more, a long way down, followed by more uphill. Hard work but good fun.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I guess that's the same as when I first heard the expression 'going Dutch' (being Dutch myself).

So, apparently it's a type of best ball: everyone hits from the tee, then using the best ball, from the second shot onwards it's alternate shot. It's a quick way of playing 18 holes either as 2 competing pairs in a foursome, or as a foursome (this is rare). I've seen it called different things, and I've also read alternative ways of playing a Scotch scramble...

But that's the plan at least..

We generally call that format Greensomes (https://www.golfmonthly.com/features/the-game/greensomes-and-foursomes-the-differences-66430)

Klimski

Visit site
Hi all, so the trip happened over the course of last weekend. And here's the quick report:
- Kinghorn - gale force winds and intermittent showers, I had great fun and would have loved to play all 18 holes, but the others suggested we skip four holes on the back nine. I really, really loved the course, the views, fast greens. Hope to return someday when the wind isn't that hard and paly all 18.
- Eden Course (St Andrews Links). Played Greensomes, very much enjoyed the course and the entire St Andrews experience (Himalayas in the morning etc). The sun was out, a gentle breeze blowing and if playing solo, I'm sure I would've played my handicap. For me though, not a course I am aching to play again, but very enjoyable for our entire group.
- Anstruther Golf Club - a bit foggy and damp, but what a lovely cliffside course. I haven't had that many laughs on course in a very long time. Got a bogey on the infamous 'Rockies' par three with my tee shot of the trip: a gentle 210 yd draw that started over the top of the cliff only to curl down to a two bounce greenside lie. Missed the par putt, but hey: 4 is a result there! Highly recommended to anyone.

Once again, thanks for the advice. Enjoy the season!