School me on golfing sunglasses

Visit site
After the interminable rain and gloom of Sept to Feb, the sun hasn't stopped bloody shining and now the courses are mostly open I'm going to get as much golf action as I can. Hitherto I've just been using my cheap and cheerful 'polarised' (I'm not 100% sure of this given that they weren't expensive) sunnies but they aren't great on the course - especially when hitting into a low sun.

What's the deal with golfing glasses - are they really any different to normal ones? Is it worth forking out for some and if so what do you ladies and germs use? Any thoughts gratefully received.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Buy some Oakley glasses, ideally Half Jackets so you can change the lenses. I think the golf lenses are called Prism or similar. The quality thing about these is that they filter the light, they clean it. You can start in bright sunshine, finish in overcast weather and you wont have noticed the change until you take your glasses off.

Nothing can help with a low sun mind, that is just one of those things. You'd need a welders mask to solve that ?.

I have Half Jacket 2.0 XL by the way ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oaqkley here too, they have some golf specific lenses which work really well

Plenty of frame choices too, not just the half jackets that have interchangeable lenses
Didn't realise that. Thanks for pointing out.

In a world that is full of sarcasm, that wasn't part of it. I really didn't know. Most of their frames look enclosed and so I would not have thought the lenses would be changeable. I'll look more closely now ?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Didn't realise that. Thanks for pointing out.

In a world that is full of sarcasm, that wasn't part of it. I really didn't know. Most of their frames look enclosed and so I would not have thought the lenses would be changeable. I'll look more closely now ?

Pretty sure the others one I have are Radar Path and Radar Pitch, again they are not full frames hence why easy to switch lenses

D

Deleted Member 1156

If you buy cheap sunglasses they may not pick up the slopes on the greens as well as something like Oakley.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you buy cheap sunglasses they may not pick up the slopes on the greens as well as something like Oakley.
Not many glasses pick up slopes .I find sunglasses flatten everything out on the greens especially.
So I take mine off to read putts.
Oakley prisim golf lenses are what you need they are the best on the market.
Nike do some very nice ones as well.
Just watch they are not to dark , think Oakley do two shades of prism lens.
Not cheap but you get what you pay for, and you only get one pair of eyes.!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Those using them, what lenses do you recommend?
For golf you need the Prizm / Prism lenses. They are brilliant in all light. If you get standard Oakley sunglasses lenses then they will be too dark.

I use the Prism lenses for golf. When I go on holiday abroad, if Mediterranean or Adriatic areas so very bright sun, I change them for a darker lens, one of their standard dark lenses that they would put in regular sunglasses. It takes about 20 seconds to change each lens, if you have open frames, so it is not a problem.

If you go on the Oakley website, look under replacement lenses, it tells you how much light each lens let's through, what type of light it is suitable for. The Prism let's about 30% through from memory, the regular, dark lenses let about 16-17% through. They have different ones for different pastimes, cycling, sea fishing etc. Some of this may be marketing but the golf ones genuinely are different and excellent.

For my 1 week away per year I bought my replacement lens from a company called Revant, us company who sell via Amazon. They pass all the correct specs and are much cheaper. If my prism lenses broke I would pay the money for the Oakley lenses but for my one week in the sun the Revant ones do the job I need them to.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Which Oakleys for a fat head please? ?
I have a head that is too big for one size fits all caps, clearly not true is it Under Armour? ?. I have the Half Jacket 2.0 XL and they are fine. The sports glasses tend to have a bit of flex in them that allows for a larger head.

My son was given a pair of standard style raybans off his daft aunt for his 18th. I couldn't tell you if they are any good as to put them on I would end up snapping an arm. Way too tight and small for me.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a head that is too big for one size fits all caps, clearly not true is it Under Armour? ?. I have the Half Jacket 2.0 XL and they are fine. The sports glasses tend to have a bit of flex in them that allows for a larger head.

My son was given a pair of standard style raybans off his daft aunt for his 18th. I couldn't tell you if they are any good as to put them on I would end up snapping an arm. Way too tight and small for me.
The frame size is on the left arm of Oakley mine are 133 in mm.
This is the width of the frame at your eye centre height and the length of the arms.
So measure your glasses see if they are similar.
But as Lord T says they are very flexible.