Sand wedge loft / bounce

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi all,

Currently using a 58* wedge for the bunkers but more often than not in the softer bunkers I seem to just about get it out.

Far more success is had when using my 52* so contemplating dropping the 58 in favour of a more traditional 56*

Is 2* really going to make that much difference or is it my technique that needs a polish?

The wedge bounces are 52/08 and 58/10

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I need more bounce as the sand gets softer, I'm not much good opening the club face too much even though it increases the bounce

Seems like you're digging in a bit. Try Padraig Harrison's tip and put all your weight on the front foot, ball off front heel, seems to work for me

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think it's mostly technique.
Get that right and you can get out of a bunker with almost anything.
I could, however, be making this up as I have little or no technique at all.....:cry:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The wedge I have is a very wide sole tour grind fg tour. I can only assume my set up has changed slightly as I’ve not changed wedges for 3 years and this seems to be a recent development.

I’ll check the set up to check my weight distribution as I was always fairly decent in the sand and always made the conscious effort of being loaded on the left side with the bell position slightly more forward

I’ll report back once I’ve spent an hour or so in the sand

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The wedge I have is a very wide sole tour grind fg tour. I can only assume my set up has changed slightly as I’ve not changed wedges for 3 years and this seems to be a recent development.

I’ll check the set up to check my weight distribution as I was always fairly decent in the sand and always made the conscious effort of being loaded on the left side with the bell position slightly more forward

I’ll report back once I’ve spent an hour or so in the sand
Then again...do you open the face of the 52? If you do you will be increasing the bounce.

Put another way, if you make the face of the 52 look like your 58 for the stroke it will be fundamentally a 58/14 - well suited to deep soft sand.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
To be honest Duncan although it’s slightly open it’s no where near the loft of the 58*. Due to losing my touch in the bunkers I find If anything I play the 52* in a similar set up as I would a chip shot and take it far to clean ( as in ball then bunker) as opposed to a splash shot needed for tight greenside bunkers with tight pin placements

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I use the Ping gorge with the wide sole in 58 degree. Seems fairly versatile in most sand but will swap to a thin sole if the sand is particularly wet. I would look at technique before going down to a 52 wedge as I can see that causing more problems than it fixes. Hope you sort it soon though

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
To be honest Duncan although it’s slightly open it’s no where near the loft of the 58*. Due to losing my touch in the bunkers I find If anything I play the 52* in a similar set up as I would a chip shot and take it far to clean ( as in ball then bunker) as opposed to a splash shot needed for tight greenside bunkers with tight pin placements
Ah, ok. In which case technically neither sole nor bounce would come into it, but practically your sole is probably doing the work most of the time 🤔

Good luck

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I need more bounce as the sand gets softer, I'm not much good opening the club face too much even though it increases the bounce

Seems like you're digging in a bit. Try Padraig Harrison's tip and put all your weight on the front foot, ball off front heel, seems to work for me

I think Harrington’s way is how I used to set up when I was consistent .... explain why I know have the touch of a ram raider when on the beach.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I change my choice of wedge based upon the lie and the type of sand.

For very soft sand I have a 56 with 14 degree of bounce but a fairly narrow sole
I use a 52 for hardpan or when there is very little sand or a low bounce narrow sole 60 if I want to get a lot of height quickly.