Sampled the dark side and...

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
... I liked it.

Those that know me will know I love my Mizunos. But something bad has happened. I'm playing away from home and whilst I'm away I've been loaned a set of old man's clubs to borrow - Ping Rapture complete with graphite shafts. As previously used by my 70+ year old father in law.

Now these irons are fugly beasts. When I picked them up I laughed, they were like holding featherweight shovels. Not expecting anything more than a quick hack around a field I didn't bother taking them on the range beforehand and we headed out completely cold.

1st hole I'm in the middle of the fairway, 110 to the centre and uphill to the green. I pull out the PW and give it an easy swing to watch my ball go arrow straight, and 30 yards through the back of the green. I'm confused.

2nd hole. In some juicy rough off the tee, 150 yards from the centre. 7 iron, swish, 10 yards through the back of the green.

3rd hole, middle of the fairway, 130 yards to centre, 9 iron, swish, 20 yards through the back.

You see how where this is going...

13th hole, 165yard par 3 and I had much better feel for distance by now. Slightly downhill to a narrow green. 9 iron, ball lands 10 feet short on the line of the hole, then spins back to 15 feet.

I'm not big or strong and I have lightweight steel shafts in my irons as it is. But maybe it's time to embrace my future as an old man golfer. I need help. I love my Mizzies. I love my Mizzies. I love my Mizzies. But I can't stop thinking about the brilliantly filthy time I've just had with those Pings.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A friend of mine has just taken delivery of graphite shaft Srixon clubs, not only do they look lovely but he swings them so slowly and generates just as much distance as me swinging stiff steel KBS shafts. He's an 11 hcp in his late 50's.