Ryder Cup - Paul Casey

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I see that Paul Casey withdrew from the final day's play at the BMW with a back problem but can't find any more details at the moment.

This may have been precautionary, he was well down the field and wasn't going to make the final 30 or is it something more serious, if so what's Bjorn going to do and who should be on standby!

D

Deleted member 15344

If Casey can’t make it - I don’t think it would be a massive miss and I think Bjorn would go for either Rafa or Fitzpatrick, when looking at how both reacted then you could see why he would go for Fitzpatrick

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nearly withdrew from The Masters with it as well. Needs to decide whether he's fit to play or not. If he isn't then Rafa has to come in.

D

Deleted member 15344

Nearly withdrew from The Masters with it as well. Needs to decide whether he's fit to play or not. If he isn't then Rafa has to come in.

Why would a guy that hasn’t won a Comp for a while now “have” to be the one to get called up - is there no case for others to be considered ? Fitzpatrick for example just had a superb win , Wallace with his three wins - at one stage I thought Rafa was a shoe in but then when you look at his results they don’t scream “pick me “

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why would a guy that hasn’t won a Comp for a while now “have” to be the one to get called up - is there no case for others to be considered ? Fitzpatrick for example just had a superb win , Wallace with his three wins - at one stage I thought Rafa was a shoe in but then when you look at his results they don’t scream “pick me “

Rafa was specifically called out by Bjorn saying he "felt sick" leaving him out so it's obvious he was the next in-line and closest to being picked. Fitzpatrick winning last week doesn't change that. Seriously doubt it'll be an issue anyway, I'm sure Casey will be fine come Paris.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Rafa was specifically called out by Bjorn saying he "felt sick" leaving him out so it's obvious he was the next in-line and closest to being picked. Fitzpatrick winning last week doesn't change that. Seriously doubt it'll be an issue anyway, I'm sure Casey will be fine come Paris.

With a potential to be asked to play twice in a day, especially as Stenson isn't 100% fit, I hope the right decision is made by Casey, whatever it is.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd pick Fitzpatrick over Rafa all day long, if Casey was unfit. Just get that feeling that Rafa never gets it done when he's in with a chance.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If Casey and Stenson started the Ryder Cup but neither were fit enough to play in the singles matches would the US automatically get those 2 points or are those matches scrubbed?

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd pick Fitzpatrick over Rafa all day long, if Casey was unfit. Just get that feeling that Rafa never gets it done when he's in with a chance.

Really? Rafa managed to get it done at the last RC. An unbeaten 2.5 point run of 2-0-1 for RCB. 0-2-0 for Fitzpatrick. I'd be going Rafa all day. Ranked higher in the world rankings, higher in the world points, higher on the Race to Dubai, 41st on the Fed Ex Cup standings.

D

Deleted member 15344

Really? Rafa managed to get it done at the last RC. An unbeaten 2.5 point run of 2-0-1 for RCB. 0-2-0 for Fitzpatrick. I'd be going Rafa all day. Ranked higher in the world rankings, higher in the world points, higher on the Race to Dubai, 41st on the Fed Ex Cup standings.
But still hasn’t won - best result I think is 4th all year ? And in fact since last July 2017 I believe - his ranking has gone backwards all year from 16th 16 months ago to 30th now.

Even Garcia in that period has won a Comp.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wow, even though the sides have now been picked the forum has found a complete non story to enable the same people to keep discussing selection lol

Go on then, rumour has it that lets say JT has chipped a toenail, wonder who's next in line for the US

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Wow, even though the sides have now been picked the forum has found a complete non story to enable the same people to keep discussing selection lol

Go on then, rumour has it that lets say JT has chipped a toenail, wonder who's next in line for the US
Zander Shuffle.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
But still hasn’t won - best result I think is 4th all year ? And in fact since last July 2017 I believe - his ranking has gone backwards all year from 16th 16 months ago to 30th now.

Even Garcia in that period has won a Comp.

Why is winning the be all and end all when RCB is ahead on every other category bar European Points? Tony Finau's not won since 2016. Say it comes down to Sunday and you need a point - you're going to Fitzpatrick ahead of RCB?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I was gonna say. Do we really need to have the exact same discussion as last week when we all stated who we thought should be there instead of Garcia? Haha. I'm sure Casey pulled out of this to make sure he can play in the Ryder Cup.

D

Deleted member 15344

Why is winning the be all and end all when RCB is ahead on every other category bar European Points? Tony Finau's not won since 2016. Say it comes down to Sunday and you need a point - you're going to Fitzpatrick ahead of RCB?

Why not Fitzpatrick- he has shown pedigree in matchplay - won the US Amatuer did he not ?

Rafa has done well milking points on the US tour based on the field but yet actually hasn’t done much , Fitzpatrick has actually shown he can get over the line - same with Wallace. Rafas WR etc is on the way down , where as Fitzpatrick is on the way up

So if Casey was to have an issue that would mean he would need to pull out then for me the obvious pick would be Fitzpatrick based on his recent winning form. Rafa it appears cant get over the winning line so you could question his winning ability. But I suspect it will all be a mute point because I don’t expect Casey to withdraw

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Its OK everyone Fundy has clearly spoken to Casey, this thread about his injury isn't required.

Close the thread.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Why not Fitzpatrick- he has shown pedigree in matchplay - won the US Amatuer did he not ?

Rafa has done well milking points on the US tour based on the field but yet actually hasn’t done much , Fitzpatrick has actually shown he can get over the line - same with Wallace. Rafas WR etc is on the way down , where as Fitzpatrick is on the way up

So if Casey was to have an issue that would mean he would need to pull out then for me the obvious pick would be Fitzpatrick based on his recent winning form. Rafa it appears cant get over the winning line so you could question his winning ability. But I suspect it will all be a mute point because I don’t expect Casey to withdraw

I think you already stated that Rafa won last year (Scottish Open) so to say he can't get it over the line is not true.

He is also now predominantly playing on a stronger tour playing against better players week in week out which makes it harder to win but does make you raise your game.