Ryanair

• Thread starter Deleted member 1740
  • Start date

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Nobody likes Ryanair, but lots of people fly with them. Whilst it is true that a lot of them use them as they're the only company that fly to certain destinations, most do it because they're cheap.
The irony is that these destinations were not served at all until Ryanair started flying there, thereby creating a new market. They did this with subsidies from the local tourist board and airport, arguing that the new passengers bought extra revenues into the area.
The problem is that when the subsidies cease, Ryanair pull out, it costs them nothing as they have no direct employees at the airport, it’s all contracted out.

D

Deleted member 1740

During lockdown the Mother in law moaned about how Ryanair wouldn't refund them etc and how she'll never fly with them again until she booked flights for next year because they were £350 cheaper. I just laughed.

I'd love her to get stranded on her holidays, maybe that'll learn her?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
During lockdown the Mother in law moaned about how Ryanair wouldn't refund them etc and how she'll never fly with them again until she booked flights for next year because they were £350 cheaper. I just laughed.

I'd love her to get stranded on her holidays, maybe that'll learn her?
Trust you have sent a copy of this post to her along with Mrs Stuart C.

D

Deleted member 1740

Trust you have sent a copy of this post to her along with Mrs Stuart C.

No but I did say to her what happened to not flying with Ryanair again and she just replied "with well they're £350 cheaper than Jet2" I just shook my head

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
[QUOTE="You pays your money and you takes your choice.[/QUOTE]

Exactly this. I have flown with them a lot. I understand the risks, I accept them. Life is an exercise in risk reward.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
"When we arrived for our flight they demanded £600 and denied boarding till we paid" makes a good story.
"We got warnings but ignored them. But when we arrived for our flight, they demanded £600 and denied boarding till we paid" doesn't make a good story.

Not saying this is what happened but I've personally been victim of 'partial reporting' before, so know it (or something similar) is quite possible.

Anyhow, we know that Ryanair offsets its cheap fares by using 'customer unfriendly practices', so we shouldn't be surprised by anything they do. As long as it's just the right side of the law, they'll do it. People seem to put up with the 'customer unfriendly' bit until it actually affects them personally. I flew with them once - about 25 years ago - and vowed never to do so again. And haven't - but they still seem to be doing alright as a company without me.

D

Deleted member 1740

"When we arrived for our flight they demanded £600 and denied boarding till we paid" makes a good story.
"We got warnings but ignored them. But when we arrived for our flight, they demanded £600 and denied boarding till we paid" doesn't make a good story.

Not saying this is what happened but I've personally been victim of 'partial reporting' before, so know it (or something similar) is quite possible.

Anyhow, we know that Ryanair offsets its cheap fares by using 'customer unfriendly practices', so we shouldn't be surprised by anything they do. As long as it's just the right side of the law, they'll do it. People seem to put up with the 'customer unfriendly' bit until it actually affects them personally. I flew with them once - about 25 years ago - and vowed never to do so again. And haven't - but they still seem to be doing alright as a company without me.

Irrespective of how it's been reported, it's still abhorrent behaviour from Ryanair.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
We use Ryanair a lot. We've had a voucher for flights not used two years ago. I tried to use it to book for next year and it only gave us 50% of it value. I contacted them via online chat and a full refund will be with us in 7 days. Seems fair enough. I wonder if we will now be on their hit list.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We use Ryanair a lot. We've had a voucher for flights not used two years ago. I tried to use it to book for next year and it only gave us 50% of it value. I contacted them via online chat and a full refund will be with us in 7 days. Seems fair enough. I wonder if we will now be on their hit list.
That's good going, was more like 7 months for most people.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Not going off on topic, but remember when I went to Mexico last year ?
Anyway TUI sent an email last week reminding us that on top of what they paid us for Boris cutting the holiday short. They matched it with a £600 voucher to spend on any holiday, which they have extended to September next year. My point is some companies are fantastic, then there’s Ryanair

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I used them for flights to Dublin a couple of years ago. 2 of our party were unable to travel because their flights from Japan were cancelled, this meant that I couldn't get a refund on their Ryan Air tickets. The rest of us went anyways, and had two empty seats outbound. On the return flight, we expected the two empty seats again, only to find them taken. Ryan Air knew that our two members hadn't travelled, so they sold the seats again, despite keeping my money for the original tickets. Shocking behaviour.

The only bonus of that trip, was the Guinness Brewery did refund me for the two that couldn't make it.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had the issue as well, I got a voucher. But Wizzair was the same. They put up a false schedule and took bookings against that. They take money fast but are very slow to return.
I won’t fly Ryanair, I know BA is more costly but this is a tax deductible expense in my case, and yes it affects my profit and loss accounts but I need consistency and expectations met.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I used them for flights to Dublin a couple of years ago. 2 of our party were unable to travel because their flights from Japan were cancelled, this meant that I couldn't get a refund on their Ryan Air tickets. The rest of us went anyways, and had two empty seats outbound. On the return flight, we expected the two empty seats again, only to find them taken. Ryan Air knew that our two members hadn't travelled, so they sold the seats again, despite keeping my money for the original tickets. Shocking behaviour.

The only bonus of that trip, was the Guinness Brewery did refund me for the two that couldn't make it.

There’s others and there Ryanair ?