Rulring Question

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played in a doubles comp. yesterday where prefered lies were in play,but mistakenly picked up my ball just of the fairway, took a 1 shot penalty which I thougt was the correct ruleing ,my playing partners agreed with this and we and carried on.

Getting back in we found that we had won,so i mentioned to someone about taking a one shot penalty as I was not 100% sure on this ruleing, I was told it was a 2 shot penalty, so we were d/q for signing for a wrong score. Which was fair enough if I broke the rules.

But getting back home and looking for this ruleing in the book I cant find it, so I was hopeing someone could tell me where this ruleing is in the book. Thanks.

DCB

Visit site
Re: Ruling Question

Rule 18-2 would suggest a 1 stroke penalty is correct assuming you replaced the ball in the original position before playing the shot.

Last edited:

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site

As DCB says it depends if you replaced the ball exactly. If you failed to do so (i.e. if you actually played from a different place) then indeed it is a 2 shot penalty for breach of Rule.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

the others have explained 18-2 already

real lesson is as follows - either (1) check with the 'authorities' before signing and returning the card or (2) don't raise it.

in this case you clearly weren't sure so (1) would have been the right course of action.

the second one is to get in writing the exact reason for the DQ straight away, and go back with any query before the competition is closed - ideally straight away. I realise this is difficult for many but it's another reason that you should have a rule book with you (or a smartphone to post here!)

the problem you have now is that the committee cannot correct it's error after the competition has been closed, even if they were wrong!

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk

the problem you have now is that the committee cannot correct it's error after the competition has been closed, even if they were wrong!

Not sure about that. There's no reason I'm aware of that a committee can't correct mistakes. I've seen instances of players ringing up the following day D/Q'ing themselves for a wrong score etc. We always undo the comp, correct the data and finish it again. We would do the same if the chap ringing up was the winner.

As for the issue here it's certainly a 1 shot penalty and replace so I'd certainly challenge the decision.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

Not sure about that. There's no reason I'm aware of that a committee can't correct mistakes. I've seen instances of players ringing up the following day D/Q'ing themselves for a wrong score etc. We always undo the comp, correct the data and finish it again. We would do the same if the chap ringing up was the winner.

As for the issue here it's certainly a 1 shot penalty and replace so I'd certainly challenge the decision.

I am afraid that, on the basis of what you have posted have posted here, you are acting outwith the rules - specifically 34-3, and you might find 34-3/3.9 helpful. If the competition hasn't been closed things are different - but you are 'challenging' the after closure situation from your post.

Closure of a competition is an absolute in the context of the rules - effectively changes after this point reflect serious 'offences' rather than errors (generalisation)

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I am afraid that, on the basis of what you have posted have posted here, you are acting outwith the rules - specifically 34-3, and you might find 34-3/3.9 helpful. If the competition hasn't been closed things are different - but you are 'challenging' the after closure situation from your post.

Closure of a competition is an absolute in the context of the rules - effectively changes after this point reflect serious 'offences' rather than errors (generalisation)

You may need to refer to 34-1, when indeed they may very well be acting correctly.....

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Just to clarify, I,am not disputing this as my understanding is once a comp. is closed it cannot be changed.

I picked my ball up just off the fairway,one of my opponents called over not to lift,I only picked my ball up by 2 to 3 inches and placed it back in the exact spot.

On getting back in the clubhouse I was sitting round a table with around 10 members which some are on the commitee, I told all concerned about the penalty, and was told it was a 2 shot penalty and was D/Q.

Then 20min. later the comp. was closed and the winners were given their prizes.

Thanks to all that replied,and rule 18-2 seems to cover this situation.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

thank you for the additional clarification

whilst the results of a closed comp can be changed, the circumstances are very specific and this isn't one as discussed.
you seem to have taken things very well, and would hope that a representative of the committee apologies to you at some point. in a parrallel to the rules, mistakes happen.
enjoy your golf

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

thank you for the additional clarification

whilst the results of a closed comp can be changed, the circumstances are very specific and this isn't one as discussed.
you seem to have taken things very well, and would hope that a representative of the committee apologies to you at some point. in a parrallel to the rules, mistakes happen.
enjoy your golf

Thanks

I feel this is another instance where you should know the rules better, and feel if I had known them I could have pressed my case better,so whilst some may have made a mistake, I have no one to blame but myself.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk

Yeah, see what you mean. In the examples I quoted, and have seen for real, it has alays been a DQ penalty being applied after the event which is OK and covered in the exceptions. The case here is obviously the other way round and a debate as to whether the penalty applied was correct. Cheers for that.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site

Thanks

I feel this is another instance where you should know the rules better, and feel if I had known them I could have pressed my case better,so whilst some may have made a mistake, I have no one to blame but myself.
Eh yea you do , you brought it up & they ruled DQ incorrectly , your committe should know or seek to find the exact ruling BEFORE closing the comp .. they should have sought to clarify what you did exactly & ruled on that .. id expect an apology