Rules night

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Last night we very enjoyable rules evening at Ellesmere, Simon Edwards, a tour rules official and coach gave an entertaining talk with lots of audience participation sadly barely 30 people turned up.

How can you get people engaged with learning the rules if they dont support events like this

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
For me it’s a 25 minute drive each way. Missis T would not Be interested one bit so it would be a struggle to sell something like that.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My County run about half a dozen a year. All are well attended and well received.

We use a 'mini golf hole' carpet with full tee to green with PAs, bunkers etc and play a hole highlighting things that may happen on the way round. The audience can and do ask questions as the game evolves.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We had one. Guy from the ET who's name escapes me. We ran it with a food night and it was a success with about 65-70 there. They ran it as a quiz per table to start with and the guy marked the answers. He did a really great Q&A and presentation about the common misconceptions and inadvertent rules infringements many handicap golfers commit. I'll have to find out next time I'm at the club who he was.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Last night we very enjoyable rules evening at Ellesmere, Simon Edwards, a tour rules official and coach gave an entertaining talk with lots of audience participation sadly barely 30 people turned up.

How can you get people engaged with learning the rules if they dont support events like this
Move it on Zoom and advertise here? ?

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Depends what you're after - learning rules then do it on a Saturday lunch as people come off the course and they'll probably get 30 mins each, hear a few points and take it in.

If you're trying to get more into the bar so it's used in evenings then promotion. However, for me my club is good, nice place to be but I won't always take more time away from family to attend random events unless it really works.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I think when we did one we got maybe 60-70 people out of a membership of 450.

The key might have been that the committee promised to buy every attendee a drink!!!

The Fader

Visit site
For me, golf is unique amongst the sports with complex rules - rugby, cricket, american football etc. as it is self policed especially club golf. And the fact that golf is played over such a huge playing area with each course having it's own individual nuances and terrains magnify the times rules need applying.

Whilst I consider myself reasonably au fait with the rules I am by no means an expert.

In the event of something unusual happening that I don't know, I apply the the following parameter - don't do anything that creates an advantage over the underlying situation and apply a penalty shot if you move the ball. Not perfect but puts you in the clear the vast majority of the time.

As far as rules evenings and the like are concerned - in my opinion they are not attractive to the majority of golfers who would benefit, who are a mix of the "know it all anyway" brigade and the "don't care anyway" crew.

We've held these type of events and had low turn-outs. But if you make the opportunity available - no-one can complain when they are pinged for an infringement they claim ignorance about.

The biggest problem I've come across is the self appointed "Rules Guru". Dangerous people who more often than not expound nonsense!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If they are poorly advertised, poorly designed, poorly presented, humourless and with little or no involvement with the audience, they will fail.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
All depends on how engaging the speaker is. Trouble is, you'd not find out until ot was too late!

We have a Referee who is a former colleague. If he was presenting it would be carnage!:ROFLMAO:

The guy we had (still trying to find out who but wasn't at the club long enough today) but he was really good. Not dry and with a very dry wit especially to those smart arses trying to catch him out. Like that teacher at school that taught a subject you maybe weren't good at or liked but he somehow made it click and fall into place