Rule question...

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I assume this is against the rules but I'll ask anyway...

On a sunny day, I set my bag in a position that casts a shadow on my ball/club face, eliminating glare.

Penalty?

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
14-2/2.5 Player Positions Bag for Purpose of Providing Shade for Ball
Q. A player positions his golf bag near the teeing ground for the purpose of blocking the sunlight from the position where
he tees his ball. He then makes a stroke. Is he in breach of Rule 14-2?
A. Yes. As the player was not in contact with the golf bag, he accepted protection from the elements in breach of Rule 14-
2. This answer differs from that in Decision 14-2/2 as, in that case, the player was in contact with the umbrella.
While a player may not place an object or position a person for the purpose of blocking the sunlight from his ball, he may
ask a person (e.g., a spectator) who is already in position not to move, so that a shadow remains over the ball, or to move,
so that his shadow is not over the ball.

Against rule 14-2. You cant protect your ball from the elements. Wether that be rain, wind or even sunlight

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Quick search reveals my memory is correct :).

14-2/2.5
Player Positions Bag for Purpose of Providing Shade for Ball

Q.A player positions his golf bag near the teeing ground for the purpose of blocking the sunlight from the position where he tees his ball. He then makes a stroke. Is he in breach of Rule 14-2?

A.Yes. As the player was not in contact with the golf bag, he accepted protection from the elements in breach of Rule 14-2a. This answer differs from that in Decision 14-2/2 as, in that case, the player was in contact with the umbrella.

While a player may not place an object or position a person for the purpose of blocking the sunlight from his ball, he may ask a person (e.g., a spectator) who is already in position not to move, so that a shadow remains over the ball, or to move, so that his shadow is not over the ball.

EDIT: but editing on iPad does mean I'm slow :)

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Cheers fellas! I did this inadvertently today when playing a solo round and wondered if it would've been called during a competition.

Is there any scope if it's done by accident?

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
The penalty is only if done deliberate.

Of course if you accidentally did this for the front nine, then it would probably be a penalty too :)