Rule Query

Integpin

Visit site
I was playing in a 4BBB and my partners putt was conceded. As I was nearest to his ball I putted it back to him. Our opponents said this was not allowed as I still had to putt and it could be construed as testing the green. I accepted the ruling but cannot find clarity on this supposed penalty shot. Anybody help with this rule.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Examples of actions that are not a breach of Rule 13.1e are when:

• A player concedes his or her opponent’s next putt and hits the ball away on the same line of play as the player may subsequently use but does not do so deliberately to learn information about the putting green.

So on that basis I also would not consider what you did as testing the green

IslaG

Visit site
This is definitely one of those ‘you‘ll know it when you see it’ scenarios. Casually tapping a ball back to someone is a world away from taking a proper grip and putting stroke. I think that’s why the example uses the word “hits” not “putts”

Last edited:

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
This is definitely one of those ‘you‘ll know it when you see it’ scenarios. Casually tapping a ball back to someone is a world away from taking a proper grip and putting stroke. I think that’s why the example uses the word “hits” not “putts”
It is an intent based Rule, hence the use of "deliberate". If there is no intention to test the green, it doesn't matter whether the player takes a proper grip or not. Taking that proper grip etc might lead to more questioning, but wouldn't automatically mean a breach of the Rule.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
One of those, by the letter you haven't broken the rule, but why put yourself in the position, just scoop it up and avoid the possible hassle

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is an intent based Rule, hence the use of "deliberate". If there is no intention to test the green, it doesn't matter whether the player takes a proper grip or not. Taking that proper grip etc might lead to more questioning, but wouldn't automatically mean a breach of the Rule.

But how is the intent or conversely lack of intent proven?

There is a guy at our place who would 100% try to pull you on that, he has tried to call me for testing the surface when I was wiping mud off the ball on the green, and another time accused another of cleaning the ball when he had lifted it from the fringe at the request of the said player as it was on the line he wished to putt along, the guy was holding the ball between thumb and forefinger! :rolleyes:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

There is a guy at our place who would 100% try to pull you on that, he has tried to call me for testing the surface when I was wiping mud off the ball on the green, and another time accused another of cleaning the ball when he had lifted it from the fringe at the request of the said player as it was on the line he wished to putt along, the guy was holding the ball between thumb and forefinger! :rolleyes:
Two possible options...perhaps not for the faint-hearted.
1. You don't bother. Simply glare/laugh/ask if he's calling you a cheat etc.
2. Put a sufficiently large wager with a very public result - e.g. drinks to all members in the bar or public acknowledgement.
That will likely to stop that sort of behaviour - I've actually seen it happen, though only as a spectator/bystander.
Of course, having a Rule Book in your bag, or access to a Rules App settles most of that sort of drivel quite peacefully. Certainly would the one in the OP.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Two possible options...perhaps not for the faint-hearted.
1. You don't bother. Simply glare/laugh/ask if he's calling you a cheat etc.
2. Put a sufficiently large wager with a very public result - e.g. drinks to all members in the bar or public acknowledgement.
That will likely to stop that sort of behaviour - I've actually seen it happen, though only as a spectator/bystander.
Of course, having a Rule Book in your bag, or access to a Rules App settles most of that sort of drivel quite peacefully. Certainly would the one in the OP.

Didn't phase me one bit, just snarled at him and called him one of Smiffy's favourite names. The other instance did cause a bit of an issue.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site

This "guy" is not a referee, tell him that or ignore him.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

There is a guy at our place who would 100% try to pull you on that, he has tried to call me for testing the surface when I was wiping mud off the ball on the green, :rolleyes:

This is something i have heard on several occasions. My advice is politely ask them to read the rule book online

for reference

Interpretations 13.1e/1
Examples of actions that are not a breach of Rule 13.1e are when:

A player rubs a ball on the putting green to clean off mud.