Rubber allergy- advice needed

richiel100

Visit site
Hello all,

My first post and bit of a strange one....

Unfortunately I suffer from a rubber allergy, Standard grips (particularly when brand new) and gloves cause a reaction on my hands which cause some discomfort (blistering and then dry flaky skin) for a few days after a round of golf and I have to limit my golf to no more than a round a week.

Currently I use leather gloves (I'm now being called richie 2 gloves) but these have rubber in the wrist band and I still get problems.

I'm looking for any sort of advice...... But in particular how to move away from rubber.

Take it easy on me with the rubber jokes my 226 children need a happy dad;)

thanks for you consideration!

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
leather golf grips are available, though not cheap. £30 a time for kangaroo leather grips from Gamola, and then just ditch wearing gloves at all. put the saving on two gloves towards the expensive grips.

someone on here must use leather grips, maybe they can add suggestions...

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
leather seems ideal.........so it costs more and you'll have to look after them but its better than the consequences of rubber.

226 children?:eek: you certainly don't use 'rubber' :smirk:

richiel100

Visit site
Thanks all,

leather looks the way forward but that is some outlay... How long should they last and would I be able to transfer them onto different clubs if I were to upgrade my current cheap second hand clubs. (I feel this may be the ideal excuse to upgrade)

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely your cheapest option would be to find a pair of gloves that have no rubber in them at all rather than regripping all your clubs with leather? Surely there is a manufacturer that only has a synthetic glove? I thought the FootJoy RainGrip gloves were synthetic?

D

Deleted member 18588

I have kangaroo skin grips on my irons but be warned the collar where the base of the grip fits to the shaft is rubber as is the plug at butt of the club.
Obviously you don't grip either of these parts but I don't know how sensitive you are to the proximity of rubber.

I would not recommend the non-wearing of a glove with these grips as they are so tacky this can cause blistering and soreness on the thumb pad of your lower hand.

Hope you soon get a resolution to your problem.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Odd solution but why not get some tennis/hockey wrap grips and wind them around your grips. Granted you will have some thick grips but they could work?

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks all,

leather looks the way forward but that is some outlay... How long should they last and would I be able to transfer them onto different clubs if I were to upgrade my current cheap second hand clubs. (I feel this may be the ideal excuse to upgrade)

http://www.customprogolf.co.uk/md-golf-aston-martin-forged-irons-12460-p.asp

2 birds, one expensive stone. Just need to get used to the hand stinging on the bad shots ;)

Leather may be the easiest way to rreduce contact with rubber.

Is it a latex allergy? Most manufactures claim to use synthetic rubbers but I'm having trouble finding any saying they are actually latex free. Golfpride are very vague on the topic in thier FAQ's but do claim to make latex free products but seem to go down the same route as food produces do with peanut allergies. Winn do say the following. Depending on the severity of your allergy/senitivity they may be ok.

Do Winn grips contain latex?
Except for the DuraTech Series which has partial rubber in the gripping area, the outside wraps of all other Winn Grips are made from synthetic rubber, however. Only the end-cap and nipple of the underlisting are exposed.

Apparently from looking around the Titleist Players and Player Flex glove don't have latex in them so that could be another option to try.

Rather than buying a full set of grips probably worth ordering a selection and doing some skin contact tests before fitting. If ordered from the internet any you find that aren't suitable can be returned for full refund under distance selling regs. Ideal time is now over the winter when generally less golf is being played anyway.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
a quick fix would be to wear latex free surgical gloves under your golf glove until you sort your grips out,i think boots sells them

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Thanks all,

Assistant pro at my old club had them, reckons they last that long they actually worked out cheaper than rubber, and superb in the wet, just don't clean them with cleaners or solvents. I've got a set on one set of irons, they are good, been on over a year & no sign of wear, only suggestion is get a bag with 14 full length dividers as the grips tend to mark the other shafts on the way in & out, which looks awful with Fubuki shafts as they are white.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Unfortunately I suffer from a rubber allergy, !

need to be a bit more specific as to the actual allergy - if it's latex then you shouldn't have too much problem finding grips without it; and the cheap end of the market is more likely to be that source.

you will need to either ask the manufacturer or just pass the problem to the distributor ie email Gamola and tell them exactly what you are allergic too and what grips they recommend.

richiel100

Visit site
Firstly thank you all!

Clarification on the allergy- it's not latex specific, and on further reading it is probably not actually the rubber but the chemicals used in the process of manufacturing the rubber. can't be washed off and contaminates anything that comes into contact.....

Latex free gloves still cause the allergy. Also my hands sweat and the thought of wearing them for 4 hours appeals slightly less than having dinner with Alex Hammond.

Looks like the Kangaroo leather grips would achieve nothing due to rubber at top and bottom.

I think I'll try a selection of grips and see if any have the desired effect and also try to source glove that are truly rubber free.

Terrible golfer

Visit site
Hello all,

My first post and bit of a strange one....

Unfortunately I suffer from a rubber allergy, Standard grips (particularly when brand new) and gloves cause a reaction on my hands which cause some discomfort (blistering and then dry flaky skin) for a few days after a round of golf and I have to limit my golf to no more than a round a week.

Currently I use leather gloves (I'm now being called richie 2 gloves) but these have rubber in the wrist band and I still get problems.

I'm looking for any sort of advice...... But in particular how to move away from rubber.

Take it easy on me with the rubber jokes my 226 children need a happy dad;)

thanks for you consideration!

Im assuming as its been seven years you are no longer here, but I have the exact allergy. its a rubber accelerant and is awful... I play as much as I can but it can get so bad I have to take a month off. old clubs are fine but they have to be 4-5 years. have you found any solutions??

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Im assuming as its been seven years you are no longer here, but I have the exact allergy. its a rubber accelerant and is awful... I play as much as I can but it can get so bad I have to take a month off. old clubs are fine but they have to be 4-5 years. have you found any solutions??

One of the suggestions that is in the original thread may work but deoends on what you are allergic to. Try nitrile gloves (latex free gloves) if your allergy is latex.

Terrible golfer

Visit site
One of the suggestions that is in the original thread may work but deoends on what you are allergic to. Try nitrile gloves (latex free gloves) if your allergy is latex.

Unfortunately, my allergy is a rubber accelerant. Nitrile, EVA is real bad. Leather is fine but I am so allergic to the grips the chemical gets on the leather and soaks on skin which is bad. I have lots of people tell me to quit golf.. but stuff them. haha. Old clubs are ok as the chemical rinses off of=ver years of use.

Last edited by a moderator: