Router dropping Apps issues.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Given there are some clever folk on here, hoping someone can help.

My wifi router has just started to drop (block?) a small selection of apps. Namely BBC Sport, BBC iPlayer, BBC News plus a couple of minor 'puzzle' apps. All other apps are fine, connection is fine, speed is fine, as is internet accessibility and so on. Stuff hard-wired into the router (ie iPlayer on TV) is also fine. But these apps stop working - on my tablet, on Mrs B's tablet and on my phone. If I switch off wifi on phone and use phone's mobile data instead, app start working again. If I tether tablet to phone's data use, apps starts working. But if I switch back to wifi, apps stop again. If I reboot the router, the apps work for a while, but then (usually overnight) the router drops these few apps. Have rebooted router three tmes now - currently ok, but just waiting for them to drop again.

Any ideas or thoughts on what the issue might be?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

My wifi router has just started to drop (block?) a small selection of apps. Namely BBC Sport, BBC iPlayer, BBC News plus a couple of minor 'puzzle' apps. All other apps are fine, connection is fine, speed is fine, as is internet accessibility and so on. Stuff hard-wired into the router (ie iPlayer on TV) is also fine. But these apps stop working - on my tablet, on Mrs B's tablet and on my phone. If I switch off wifi on phone and use phone's mobile data instead, app start working again. If I tether tablet to phone's data use, apps starts working. But if I switch back to wifi, apps stop again. If I reboot the router, the apps work for a while, but then (usually overnight) the router drops these few apps. Have rebooted router three tmes now - currently ok, but just waiting for them to drop again.

I had this just the other day with a couple of apps on WiFi

Worked fine with a VPN but without wouldn't load

I changed the DNS settings from a dynamic to a fixed DNS and since has been fine

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Err ... you might have to explain. (You dealing with an ignoramus here...)

Ha ha, don’t you have to set your location in the BBC apps? I can’t remember it’s been that long, I think in some apps if your location is say Brazil but your IP address is UK it blocks the connection.
Like PJ says, try a VPN first to see if it works.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ha ha, don’t you have to set your location in the BBC apps? I can’t remember it’s been that long, I think in some apps if your location is say Brazil but your IP address is UK it blocks the connection.
Have got a VPN. Problem persists if VPN is turned on, turned off - or even if its uninstalled.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

God do I have to change to PJ now?? Lol I already shorten it 🤣

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
What router do you have? You need to log onto your admin and change the DNS to fixed

I used 8.8.8.8
Its a LinkSys SPNMX55 (provided when we switched to CommunityFibre back in November).

If its a question of changing Admin settings i might leave it till we back from hols - will have more time then

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its a LinkSys SPNMX55 (provided when we switched to CommunityFibre back in November).

If its a question of changing Admin settings i might leave it till we back from hols - will have more time then
Screenshot_2024-04-11-13-03-04-82_7a88092b433fc9edf47191719f8416b4.jpg

Does it look like this?? I have the mesh Linksys and community fibre (just googled it. That looks like my router)

It's network settings

Local network settings

Scroll to bottom

Screenshot_2024-04-11-13-03-52-33_7a88092b433fc9edf47191719f8416b4.jpg

Once I did it took about 5-10 mins to reboot the WiFi then was fine since

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure what is supposed to "look like this"?

Haven't yet worked out how to access the admin settings of the router. The 'obvious route' is asking me to set or change a password - will need more time to work out 'what' I'm changing and what the consequences of changing it might be.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure what is supposed to "look like this"?

Haven't yet worked out how to access the admin settings of the router. The 'obvious route' is asking me to set or change a password - will need more time to work out 'what' I'm changing and what the consequences of changing it might be.

Oh sorry , do you have the app set up on your phone? That's the Linksys app

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh sorry , do you have the app set up on your phone? That's the Linksys app
Have got the Linksys app - but up till now, not been able to get in to it.

But that seems to have changed - so now will revert to Plan A and will look at things more fully when i have more time. But thanks for the help. (Nb. I may be back ...)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have got the Linksys app - but up till now, not been able to get in to it.

But that seems to have changed - so now will revert to Plan A and will look at things more fully when i have more time. But thanks for the help. (Nb. I may be back ...)

Feel free to pm me when you are free to do it

It wasn't too painful to do I found, did it late at night and fixed my issues

Alan Clifford

Visit site

From what you say, it sound like a wifi problem. Does it occur when you sit next to the router using your tablet? The apps you mentioned are likely streaming video and taking up a lot of bandwidth.

Are their lots of wifi routers in your neighbourhood that could interfere with each other? Probably not such a problem these day regarding channels but maybe worth looking into.

Also an interesting comment in the link below about using an old device on a modern network could slow everything down.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
From what you say, it sound like a wifi problem. Does it occur when you sit next to the router using your tablet? The apps you mentioned are likely streaming video and taking up a lot of bandwidth.

Are their lots of wifi routers in your neighbourhood that could interfere with each other? Probably not such a problem these day regarding channels but maybe worth looking into.

Also an interesting comment in the link below about using an old device on a modern network could slow everything down.

Sorry, been away (or rather, I am away ...). Am usually very close to the router - rarely more than about 3m (living room ain't big). Dont think proximity is the issue?

Yes there are other networks nearby - say about 4/5 are detectable? Kit is fairly new. Tablet is about 18 month old, phone about same. HIDs tablet is not so new. Router installed about 5 month ago. (But problem only just materialised in last couple days). Don't think we've used much bandwidth -the BBC sites have used a total of about 20Mb over the last month (dont do much streaming).