Rory, attempt to bend rules?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Saw Rory's unsuccessful attempt to get a free drop away from the tree. Told the referee he'd have to have a foot on the path to play out left, which was farther into the trees. When the drop was refused he proceeded to play out left handed towards the fairway. I'm willing to bet that, had the path not been there, this is the shot he would have played. I thought the rule was that, if an immovable obstruction interfered with the shot you intended to play, you got relief. This obviously wasn't the case here because the shot he played was the one most people under the circumstances would play.

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes I think he did attempt to bend the rules, which 9 times out of 10 I would be dead against.
However, on this occasion I let him off and could understand his request, after seeing what Dustin Johnson got away with.
I know two wrongs don't make a right, but I will never agree with anyone who says Dustin's drop should have been allowed. He blatantly manufactured it and used the rules to the extreme.

In the end, it's the rules that are broken in my opinion.
Rory tried to gain something after seeing his main opponent gain a huge advantage. He didn't get it and took it on the chin and carried on. Fair play to him on this very bizarre occasion I say.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Sometimes you can make the rules work to your advantage, like DJ did, and Rory tried; it didn't work and despite being seething (probably!) he thanked the official, didn't request a 2nd opinion and continued on his way.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Think they both tried to make the rules work in their favour, one got away with it, one didn't. When talking with the official, I don't think Dustbin set up to play the shot he intended to play. If he didn't get the drop clear, I bet his foot wouldn't have been touching the path when he played out. Rory chanced his arm after seeing Dustbin get the decision he did. I don't think either was wrong to ask, both balls were tight against the trunk, having nearly been blinded myself from a ball ricocheting after being played by the trunk, I'd be after any relief I could get before playing a ball in the position they were. Rory took it on the chin and manufactured a shot that got himself back in play.

After playing out, I think Rory's big mistake was trying to go for the green. I know he was trying to make up a shot, but he'd already stuck one in the pond during a previous round. he would have been better off laying up and going for a par.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
They do that on tour all the time ... coming up with a ridiculous "oh, but I want to hit driver out of this thick rough and that post/fence/sprinkler over there is hindering my swing". And then they get free relieve and play something completely different. Since there usually is a course official present for this, I guess they don't break any rule, but it still always feels like cheating to me.

*TQ*

Club Champion
Visit site
It did make me think; are there people making these sort of claims up and down the country in the monthly medal? If a fellow competitor tried it in a comp I was playing in I'm not sure I'd want to cause an argument about it even if I did disagree. Has anyone seen similar claims at their club?

Wolf

Visit site
DJ asked for a free drop and got it, Rory tried the same and got declined. Both tried to use rules to their advantage personally I think that's smart, there's enough times in golf the rules punish us so if you get occasion to at least try and work them in your favour then why not.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
They do that on tour all the time ... coming up with a ridiculous "oh, but I want to hit driver out of this thick rough and that post/fence/sprinkler over there is hindering my swing". And then they get free relieve and play something completely different. Since there usually is a course official present for this, I guess they don't break any rule, but it still always feels like cheating to me.
No that's just a myth peddled on golf forums .

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
A mate of mine, who knew Seve, tells this story. Seve is playing a match & comes across the ball in a very difficult place, with an immovable obstruction nearby, but not actually interfering. Seve say to his opponent "Do I get a free drop?" Opponent "No" Svev "But if I stand with my feet this way I'm obstructed" Opponent, no you're not, you can still hit it" Seve "Are you sure?" Opponent "Yes" Seve "Well it's your ball - go ahead & play the shot"

jimjoachim

Head Pro
Visit site
my issue with it was the lack of consistency. DJ shouldn't have got the drop imo but once you give him it you have to give Rory it.
Personally I don't think either should have got a drop. You hit it into the trees you should suffer.
I do wish that it was Reeds ball and not Rorys. Would have made for some good TV.....

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
my issue with it was the lack of consistency. DJ shouldn't have got the drop imo but once you give him it you have to give Rory it.
Personally I don't think either should have got a drop. You hit it into the trees you should suffer.
I do wish that it was Reeds ball and not Rorys. Would have made for some good TV.....

Exactly this.

Left a real sour taste for me, and I think the Sky team were doing their best to be fair and unbiased, but they actually missed the point.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

I don't get it, Rory's ball wasn't in the same place as DJ so treating them as the same isn't practical or even possible

D

Deleted member 1147

Rory was hoping he could take advantage of the rule which was rightly used for DJ. Unfortunately Rory isn’t 6 foot something, and couldn’t make his legs reach the path.
The direction Rory said he was hitting would have made him hit the tree on his backswing. Whereas DJ had the correct direction when discussing with the official.

Both decisions were correct

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What I saw of it I saw no reason why DJ should not have gotten the drop. I thought I heard him say to the ref that he was standing closer to the ball he normally would and the path still interfered.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Whilst i think they both tried it on. Dj’s was more plausible.

Rory’s most realistic option was always the left handed shot and for that the path wasn’t in play, for do it was with a little manipulation.

Imo neither should have been given, but DJ was the only one where I could be pursduaded it’s right (if not in the spirit of the game).

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whilst i think they both tried it on. Dj’s was more plausible.

Rory’s most realistic option was always the left handed shot and for that the path wasn’t in play, for do it was with a little manipulation.

Imo neither should have been given, but DJ was the only one where I could be pursduaded it’s right (if not in the spirit of the game).
Sounds good . I reckon thers no way DJ would take a stance that wide for a chip sideways .. i posted a vid clip to GM on twitter showing a pitch from 90 odd yards his stance was half the width

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Yes I think he did attempt to bend the rules, which 9 times out of 10 I would be dead against.
However, on this occasion I let him off and could understand his request, after seeing what Dustin Johnson got away with.
I know two wrongs don't make a right, but I will never agree with anyone who says Dustin's drop should have been allowed. He blatantly manufactured it and used the rules to the extreme.

In the end, it's the rules that are broken in my opinion.
Rory tried to gain something after seeing his main opponent gain a huge advantage. He didn't get it and took it on the chin and carried on. Fair play to him on this very bizarre occasion I say.

This 👍. Saw his interview and he agreed with the ruling. However I think it should of shone more light on DJs ruling than Rory's.