Rooney international retirement 2018

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As cynical sod, am I alone in thinking the announcement that Rooney will retire from international football after the 2018 World Cup a ploy to keep himself in the squad?
Would there be calls to have him dropped knowing he intends to retire, when he announces that he wants to end his England carrier on a high in Russia. Sounds heartless to do that doesn't it?

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yep. Another example of the poor attitude and rhetoric that surrounds the England team. It smacks of "who's gonna drop me now?!"

Follows on from Hodgson saying that he told Sterling he should win 100 caps. Why? Why should he be winning 100 caps? they should be earned with good form and performances, not just some sort of inevitable birthright.

D

Deleted member 1740

Just in time for Henderson to mature into the captains role for 2018/19 season.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
The longest farewell tour since Tony Blair. There was never any doubt this was going to be his last campaign but I can't fathom what good it does anyone for him to announce it now.

D

Deleted member 16999

Can't see anyone on the horizon likely to take his place as Englands greatest ever goalscorer.
It'll be many a decade before anyone overtakes him.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can't see anyone on the horizon likely to take his place as Englands greatest ever goalscorer.
It'll be many a decade before anyone overtakes him.

That might be true but he reminds me of Graeme Hick in being a bit of a flat track bully when you look at when he's scored his goals and against who he scored them. I know you can only score against the teams in front of you but he scores loads in friendlies and qualifying games and then fails on the big stage at the tournaments - 16 in friendlies, 30 goals in qualifying but only 7 at the finals (and 4 of those were at Euro 2004).

D

Deleted member 16999

That might be true but he reminds me of Graeme Hick in being a bit of a flat track bully when you look at when he's scored his goals and against who he scored them. I know you can only score against the teams in front of you but he scores loads in friendlies and qualifying games and then fails on the big stage at the tournaments - 16 in friendlies, 30 goals in qualifying but only 7 at the finals (and 4 of those were at Euro 2004).

Failed as a team though, still not a bad record, hopefully we can find a goalscorer to replace him, no one comes near him, even in qualifiers.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Failed as a team though, still not a bad record, hopefully we can find a goalscorer to replace him, no one comes near him, even in qualifiers.

Maybe we wouldn't have failed as badly as a team as we did if we had a goal scorer that showed up when it mattered in a tournament situation?

D

Deleted member 16999

Maybe we wouldn't have failed as badly as a team as we did if we had a goal scorer that showed up when it mattered in a tournament situation?
Unfortunately we've never had one,
The best has been Lineker or Shearer(I think) Charlton and Hurst didn't score that many in tournaments either.
You could argue we mightn't of got to some of those Tournaments without his goals😃

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unfortunately we've never had one,
The best has been Lineker or Shearer(I think) Charlton and Hurst didn't score that many in tournaments either.
You could argue we mightn't of got to some of those Tournaments without his goals

You might have a point but the flip side of that is that they could have played me up front against San Marino, the Faeroe Islands or Macedonia and I would have probably found the net on a couple of occasions.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Know exactly how Rooney feels, I to would like to give golf monthly an exclusive. I would like to announce my retirement from international football from 2018 as well.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Know exactly how Rooney feels, I to would like to give golf monthly an exclusive. I would like to announce my retirement from international football from 2018 as well.

I'm sure there will be much wailing and knashing of teeth on the streets of England on hearing that news Tashy...:rofl:

U

User62651

Rooney is yesterdays man, last 2 or 3 years has become stale and slower imo, time he was dropped, get some new blood with pace in now so they have the best part of 2 years to gain experience before the WC in what should be a straightforward qualifying campaign.
As a Scot I'm happy he stays in.;) Probably live to regret saying that!

D

Deleted member 16999

Rooney is yesterdays man, last 2 or 3 years has become stale and slower imo, time he was dropped, get some new blood with pace in now so they have the best part of 2 years to gain experience before the WC in what should be a straightforward qualifying campaign.
As a Scot I'm happy he stays in.;) Probably live to regret saying that!
Totally agree he's failed in the Championships themselves, but still Englands top goal scorer in qualifying, nobody came in to force him out, hopefully this campaign will see him moved out by another striker before he retires.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Brilliant analogy!