RIP Stenson's 3 Wood

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Reading that article, looks like the original club has been long gone - think "Triggers broom".

Rich
Haha that's fair but it seems like he replaced the head with the same head at least, so they all would have been circa 2009-10. I'm half surprised Callaway haven't looked up the original designs and made a modern-day copy of it, could have been a marketing cash cow.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I still love the fact he uses a 3 wood so much. I hope one of his old 3 woods makes it into a golf museum. I think it has earned a place for surviving so long in an era where clubs are changed so frequently. (I do incidentally get the Triggers broom analogy but leave a little bit of romance out there :))

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I still love the fact he uses a 3 wood so much. I hope one of his old 3 woods makes it into a golf museum. I think it has earned a place for surviving so long in an era where clubs are changed so frequently. (I do incidentally get the Triggers broom analogy but leave a little bit of romance out there :))
I agree. I love it when golfers have interesting bag set-ups, or old clubs which they've kept for years. Makes a change from the likes of DJ just having every latest TaylorMade club etc.

Are there other pro golfers who have an ancient club still in the bag? I can only think of Zach Johnson's Seemore putter.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
I agree. I love it when golfers have interesting bag set-ups, or old clubs which they've kept for years. Makes a change from the likes of DJ just having every latest TaylorMade club etc.

Are there other pro golfers who have an ancient club still in the bag? I can only think of Zach Johnson's Seemore putter.

didn’t Fleetwoods caddy buy him a putter off eBay similar to one he used when he was a junior? Think he put it in the bag as well

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Whatever he replaces it with, I'm pretty certain it'll have his rebar Graffaloy Blue shaft in it! Still pretty popular with several strong hitters (even in the 'reverse' colour scheme).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whatever he replaces it with, I'm pretty certain it'll have his rebar Graffaloy Blue shaft in it! Still pretty popular with several strong hitters (even in the 'reverse' colour scheme).
In the article it said
The club has been replaced by a new Callaway Epic Flash with a Project X HZRDUS Yellow prototype shaft that has been painted blue.
Seems an odd call to paint it blue unless they're trying to trick his eye so it looks like what he's used to?? Or so he can switch the Grafalloy one in without people knowing. Not sure.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't be too concerned.

Obviously the Tour guys are getting bespoke clubs from fitters who have worked with them for years.

Clearly he isn't going to change unless he is convinced of the performance advantages.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

What a bit like Christy O'Connors 2 iron ending up in many a collection

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the article it said

Seems an odd call to paint it blue unless they're trying to trick his eye so it looks like what he's used to?? Or so he can switch the Grafalloy one in without people knowing. Not sure.

There is a very big rumour that when the shaft manufacturers have a lot of old unsold stock they get a new paint job with a new name.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I think it is harder, because I don't think the size of 3w faces give the same opportunity to boost the power. It may be possible, but right now, I don't think they would come close to the permissible values.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can you not have an illegal 3 wood the same as drivers become non conforming?
All clubs have rules, and can therefore be illegal if broken.
Drivers have additional rules.
Don't have sufficient Internet connection currently to access equipment rules but they are there for you to peruse.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Players using older clubs:

Didn't Westwood use a G10 driver for several years?
When Nike went kaput, I seem to remember Casey using Nike clubs for several years too. I'm assuming he has changed now?

You have loads of players who have had the same putter for years, but that's not really surprising.