ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the memories.....

[video=youtube_share;cHlaZW9hXd4]https://youtu.be/cHlaZW9hXd4[/video]

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I remember him as young assistant pro at my club in the late 60s. Wasn't there for very long but he was an extremely skinny youth. When he emerged onto the European tour I could hardly believe it was the same person. We have a signed print of "The Shot" in our clubhouse.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Was lucky to have played with Christy on 2 occasions in the last few years, was an absolute pleasure , great fun on & off the course , had just been made an Honorary member of our club ..

2 days I will never forget . Thank You Christy RIP

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This was in a time when I didnt really watch golf on the telly, however he is a name that has still echoed down the last few decades, due to his Ryder cup exploits.

RIP

A certain forummer was told that Christy would be speaking at our presentation evening last December (not by me). Cue the said Irish forummer to look through his old cards to pick out a card from a course he had designed, so he could bring it along to get it signed. He also prepared in a few other ways that I cant remember, but I'm sure he'll advise himself.

Sad to hear that he now wont get to meet him, who was obviously a hero to him.:(

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This was in a time when I didnt really watch golf on the telly, however he is a name that has still echoed down the last few decades, due to his Ryder cup exploits.

RIP

A certain forummer was told that Christy would be speaking at our presentation evening last December (not by me). Cue the said Irish forummer to look through his old cards to pick out a card from a course he had designed, so he could bring it along to get it signed. He also prepared in a few other ways that I cant remember, but I'm sure he'll advise himself.

Sad to hear that he now wont get to meet him, who was obviously a hero to him.:(

It was myself that was tricked into thinking that Christy was coming to our night. I got all excited and spent ages trying to find a concra wood scorecard and marker to get signed. I had prepared a couple of questions on course design around concra etc.

When liverbirdie and Andy picked me up I was then informed that it wasn't Christy after all, the guest was to be Ron Dixon from Brookside doing stand up. :eek: he was decent in the end. Sadly no Christy though.

Christy and his uncle were before my time too but any time they appeared on telly my da would say things like, 'now he was a golfer' etc. I will always be grateful for his course design of concra wood. I will have to thank him every time I make it to the first tee. Special place.

Sad loss to Irish sport.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just caught up with this very sad news.

I always remember a story I heard about Christy playing in a Pro-Am tournament.

They come to a par 3 and he and his PP put it nicely on the dance floor.
PP asks Christy, "What did you hit?" "7 iron" says Christy.
"I only hit an 8" says yer man smugly.
Chrity then hits shots with every iron in his bag and they all go on the green.

Don't know if it's a true yarn but have always hoped that it was.

Last edited:

pogle

Head Pro
Visit site
Just caught up with this very sad news.

I always remember a story I heard about Christy playing in a Pro-Am tournament.

They come to a par 3 and he and his PP put it nicely on the dance floor.
PP asks Christy, "What did you hit?" "7 iron" says Christy.
"I only hit an 8" says yer man smugly.
Chrity then hits shots with every iron in his bag and they all go on the green.

Don't know if it's a true yarn but have always hoped that it was.

I'd heard the same story but it was his uncle, Christy O'Connor Snr.

Still don't know whether it's true or not.